Cancer In Greys - A Study

Burpdog

Dr. Shelly Lake, DVM has been compiling information on all types of cancers. Please participate in her study!

Handpicked@embarqmail.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Couto is now ready for me to complete the second spreadsheet.

If you have not filled it out -- please do so! The more greys included,

the better the study. Let's help our past, present and future greys.

I am gathering information for Dr. Couto (Ohio State University) that

will be used in a study he will begin in approximately 4 months. I

have set up an email account specifically for the information to be

submitted. I will have access as will Dr. Couto. The information is

to be used ONLY for this study or research as decided on by Dr. Couto.

Please -- let's get him as much information as we can on as many

greyhounds as we can. If you know someone who does not have internet

access, print out the form for them and have them snail mail to:

Cancer In Greys, c/o BBC, P. O. Box 721465, Houston, TX 77272

If you want the form in a word document, email me at Burpdog@msn.com

The email for the study is:

canceringreys@gmail.com

Cancer In Greyhounds

Owner's Name & Address__________________________________________________________________

Email address___________________________________________

Greyhound's Name________________________________________ Tattoos _________ ___________

How many races did this greyhound race_______________

If there are no tattoos is a pedigree available ? Yes____No_____ If the answer is yes, please submit the pedigree.

Greyhound's age at adoption__________

Veterinarians' name(s), address______________________________________________________________

Phone number______________________email address_____________________________________

Age of greyhound when diagnosed___________

Symptoms_______________________________________________________________________________

Diagnosis________________________________________________________________________________

Location of cancer_________________________________________________________________________

Date of diagnosis_________________________

Method of diagnosis______________________________________________________________________

(xray, MRI, biopsy, etc. – list all that apply)

Include the name of the lab and the path accession number for the biopsy_____________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________

Treatment(s)_____________________________________________________________________________

(amputation, chemo, radiation, meds, alternative, etc. – list all that apply and names of medications if known; if no treatment please list "none")

Length of survival after diagnosis and/or treatment______________________________________________

Vaccination History_______________________________________________________________________

Heartworm preventative used, yes or no, and what kind___________________________________________

Topical flea/tick treatment used, yes or no, and what kind__________________________________________

Prescription medications used in the year prior to illness___________________________________________

Supplements used in the year prior to illness_____________________________________________________

Comments:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diane, Is this just for osteo? Or should I send in the form regarding LaceyLaine's malignant melanoma? :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

All cancer.  I'd fill it out!

1750469[/snapback]

Ok! :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Greytdog00

Scrappie's tumor was located between C6 & C7. She came to Dewey with us and had fun. The vet gave her 3 months and she made it 3 months and 8 days. At Dewey her tumor wasn't noticable. Within the last 3 weeks of her being here, her tumor grew so fast and it was as large as a baseball on her neck when we put her to sleep on Saturday.

We lost Sammie on 5/21 of this year but no one was able to tell us what Samantha had.... we were told she had an idiopathic neurolgical autoimmune disease....

How do you find out how many races your hound ran? We really don't know?

Also, I will fill out the form after Miss Nellie's first chemo treatment because we don't know what type of chemo Dr. Couto will be using?

Edited by greytdecals

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got mine filled out..hope it helps!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest nerak254

I don't know if these studies are related, but the University of Minnesota is doing an Osteocarcoma(sp) study. They are doing a small blood draw and are maping DNA. They would especially like littermates.

• 5 weeks later...

I think I filled out a cancer study at the Thera-Paw site. Is this the same study. If not, I'll definately fill this one out too. We lost our little sweethear, Jeff, to cancer of the liver/spleen this month.

• 2 weeks later...

I was approached about a similar study when Twiggy was in for treatment, but was not allowed to participate b/c Twiggy has no racing history or pedigree.

But I just filled out this survey in case it's a different study.!

• 3 weeks later...
I am gathering information for Dr. Couto (Ohio State University) that

will be used in a study he will begin in approximately 4 months. I

have set up an email account specifically for the information to be

submitted. I will have access as will Dr. Couto. The information is

to be used ONLY for this study or research as decided on by Dr. Couto.

Please -- let's get him as much information as we can on as many

greyhounds as we can. If you know someone who does not have internet

access, print out the form for them and have them snail mail to:

Cancer In Greys, c/o BBC, P. O. Box 721465, Houston, TX 77272

If you want the form in a word document, email me at Burpdog@msn.com

The email for the study is:

canceringreys@gmail.com

Cancer In Greyhounds

Owner’s Name & Address__________________________________________________________________

Email address___________________________________________

Greyhound’s Name________________________________________ Tattoos _________ ___________

How many races did this greyhound race_______________

If there are no tattoos is a pedigree available ? Yes____No_____ If the answer is yes, please submit the pedigree.

Greyhound’s age at adoption__________

Veterinarians’ name(s), address______________________________________________________________

Phone number______________________email address_____________________________________

Age of greyhound when diagnosed___________

Symptoms_______________________________________________________________________________

Diagnosis________________________________________________________________________________

Location of cancer_________________________________________________________________________

Date of diagnosis_________________________

Method of diagnosis______________________________________________________________________

(xray, MRI, biopsy, etc. – list all that apply)

Include the name of the lab and the path accession number for the biopsy_____________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________

Treatment(s)_____________________________________________________________________________

(amputation, chemo, radiation, meds, alternative, etc. – list all that apply and names of medications if known; if no treatment please list “none”)

Length of survival after diagnosis and/or treatment______________________________________________

Vaccination History_______________________________________________________________________

Heartworm preventative used, yes or no, and what kind___________________________________________

Topical flea/tick treatment used, yes or no, and what kind__________________________________________

Prescription medications used in the year prior to illness___________________________________________

Supplements used in the year prior to illness_____________________________________________________

Comments:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll print this out and send this in. I too lost my greyt to osteo on the spine. It was horrible. I hope this will help save so many more. It's funny, we thought we saved them from racing but I know that we saved our Sara twice before we lost her. Why do these wonderful beauties have to have it so hard??

I think I filled out a cancer study at the Thera-Paw site. Is this the same study. If not, I'll definately fill this one out too. We lost our little sweethear, Jeff, to cancer of the liver/spleen this month.

I'm so sorry for you. Believe me, I know how you're feeling. We lost our Sara to a tumor on the spine in December. It is hard to stop thinking about it. These poor greyts have it so hard in life but they are so lucky to have been loved by people like you. Good luck to you.

• 1 month later...

I hope I never have to fill that form out but glad Dr. Couto is doing this research.

I would hope someone is also doing pedigree studies. I don't see that a copy of a pedigree is included. This could certainly help to determine if it is more prevelant in some lines.