Greyhounds And Cancer

Guest Ferrevergrey

Have you ever had a greyhound die of bone cancer?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a greyhound die of bone cancer?

• Yes, more then one
    • Yes, only one
    • No, but my greyhound died of a differenc cancer(please specify)
    • No
    • Other(please clarify)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mleg2001

As you know I lost Callie at 9 1/2 to cancer, I decided not to go with the amputation, concerns was she was dealing with weakness in the opposite hind leg, she already has trouble getting up, laying down, needed to be held up to pee or poop, carried when she got tired, was having troubles managing with the snow and winter was just beginning, I then talked to her to let her make the final decision, when I talked about amputation she turned her head away from me and refused to look at me, when I told her I could let her go to the bridge she brought her head back and rested it on my arm and looked me in the eyes with her ears perked up and tail slowly thumping. My last foster Nitro also had a bone cancer but it was a different form than osteo, it was found in 2 of his rib, they removed the ribs and 2 tumors one outside the ribs the other inside the chest cavity, a few months later it had spread to his lungs, he had just turned 3 when he wnrt to the bridge.

• 1 year later...
...I then talked to her to let her make the final decision, when I talked about amputation she turned her head away from me and refused to look at me, when I told her I could let her go to the bridge she brought her head back and rested it on my arm and looked me in the eyes with her ears perked up and tail slowly thumping. 
823002[/snapback]

:weep

How sad, but how comforting somehow.

Buddy (who is 8) has lost three littermates to cancers of various types.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest jettcricket

My first greyhound, Chance, was diagnosed with osteo at the tender age of 4 and died at 5....I'm still devastated. I only had him for 14 months... :(

Strider had Cancer of the sinus cavity and passed on April 16, 2005, A little over 6 months ago... :(

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Guest bobduly

I am one of these people that grieve for ever and a day (years)when I lose a pet. Whether it be a bunny or Dog or whatever. I currently have three Greys and reading these comments scares me terribly. Every time one of mine limps, cries or has a runny stool I'm up all night. Perhaps adopting three was not a good move. However I love them to death and that is exactly what I'll do. Just my two cents. :wub:

Edit: Just had a thought: Does the fact that most of our Grey's are adopted off the track make the possiblity of getting cancer any worse. If we raised them from pups would the odds be better. :unsure

Edited by bobduly

Guest jettcricket
I am one of these people that grieve for ever and a day (years)when I lose a pet. Whether it be a bunny or Dog or whatever. I currently have three Greys and reading these comments scares me terribly. Every time one of mine limps, cries or has a runny stool I'm up all night. Perhaps adopting three was not a good move. However I love them to death and that is exactly what I'll do. Just my two cents. :wub:

1706930[/snapback]

I don't think it should ever discourage anyone from adopting a greyhound. We may notice it more because we are an all greyhound website. I'm sure if you went on other pet websites/forums you would see other cancers, illnesses, etc., that affect that particular breed. We all know there are no guarantees with anything. I can only speak for myself, but I know that me and my DH will always have greys in our lifes....I wouldn't have it any other way. I am so in love with this breed..... :wub:

Guest GreyStaatsmann

Image's autopsy revealed stomach/ intestinal

cancer. The vet said he felt she was genetically

predisposed to this. He would help me to research

her lines to identify other info etc, etc.

It seems that while some favored qualities have been

bred into them, cancer is a byproduct waiting to

rear it's ugly face.

I am glad for the 8 wonderful months we had with

this incredible , smiling girl....run free!

Guest lat41065

My 7 yo Benjamin had to be PTS this morning, advanced osteosarcoma of the back leg. He lasted 7 weeks after the initial diagnosis. I am so paranoid of any little limp or gait change in my other 3 now............

My sweet boy is painfree once again.

Lesley

My eight year old boy Biscuit died very suddenly this past February during our morning walk. I didn't opt for a post-mortum, but the vet thought it was probably an aneurysm.

I think of him every day. I kept his ashes in a beautiful box. That way I feel that he is still with me.

Guest jettcricket
My 7 yo Benjamin had to be PTS this morning, advanced osteosarcoma of the back leg. He lasted 7 weeks after the initial diagnosis. I am so paranoid of any little limp or gait change in my other 3 now............

My sweet boy is painfree once again.

Lesley

1707204[/snapback]

I'm so sorry for your loss....I feel your pain. :(

Guest Grhndad

My momma girl, Nancy, passed due to hemangeosarcoma this past spring. She turned 13 the month before. This is normally a soft tissue cancer but this went to her tibia on her right rear leg and her right front shoulder.

I'm curious here.  I volunteer for a small greyhound rescue group and right now I'm a little heart broken.  We only have about 25 greyhounds in our group, yet in the last couple of months, our group has now lost 3 greyhounds to bone cancer :(  I'm just wondering how common it is for greyhounds to get bone cancer.  Also, if you can share how old your greyhound was.  Jewel was only 10, Shadow was only 9, and I'm not sure how old Spice was, but I'm pretty sure she was younger then Shadow :(

810184[/snapback]

My grey that died of bone cancer was 13 yrs.old. I have lost 3 other greys and a mix to different types of cancer all within the last 3 yrs. The others had types of lymph node cancer, stomach cancer and rectal/colon cancer. The first had lymph cancer as did the sec. the third had colon/rectral cancer and the last had bone cancer. I still have one with lupus. He is 8.

Fibrosarcoma.

Maddison was 4 years and two months old when we lost him in July.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• 1 year later...

We lost our first greyhound, Lucky, to bone cancer on March 10 of this year. She was only 5 1/2 years old and in otherwise great health. It was quite a shock to us when she was diagnosed (in late fall 2006). She was soooo young! We still miss her a lot.

Kim, Silver and Holly (Lucky to be Here 6/4/01 - 3/10/07)

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

You know, this is part of my "speech" to people that come in to adopt. Some want to adopt the young ones, fall in love with an older one, but go ahead & think they need the young one. I tell them a young one can drop dead just as fast as an old one. I had an elkhound who died at 4 yrs old of pancreatitus, his mate died at 15.

We see children die at 2 hrs old & adults die at 120...so you're right age has hardly anything to do with it.

Yep, anger is part of the grief process...but you must get through it.

We're here for you. :gh_lay

Yes, we learned this lesson! My DH didn't want an older grey because of losing them too soon but we adopted Lucky at 2 years old and only had her for a little over 3 years as she died at 5 1/2. It was quite a shock. Having gone through that I wouldn't hesitate to adopt an older grey.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

9 and 10 are actually fairly old in a breed as large as the greyhound. It's an unfortunate fact that the better care you take of them and the longer they stay around, the higher the chance they will develop opportunistic diseases such as cancer. The bigger and taller the dog, the more prone they are to bone cancer. Extended growth period, rapid growth spurts and bone development, long legs, all contribute to this cancer.

Rottweilers are also probe to bone cancer. Big, yes. Tall, not really.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest fargosmom

We've had lots of cancer experience here. Fargo had a tumor on his foot (don't remember what kind) but I caught it early enough that our vet said, even though it was malignant, that she got it all and there was no reason to worry. We wound up having him put to sleep when he was nearly 15 - he had dementia and LS and was failing from both ends. Sachi had a nerve sheath tumor about 5 years ago that we weren't so lucky about - but Master Card came to the rescue and we did radiation therapy that saved her leg and her life . . . till last week when she was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. At least she got many more years of playing and cookie-eating. She's in pain now and we'll probably help her to the bridge tomorrow. (and I've had breast cancer myself).

CANCER SUCKS.

Cynthia

Guest kelli123

My beautiful baby boy who is 9 next month, was just diagnosed saterday with osteosarcoma in his leg and its has now spread to his lungs... NO signs of anything wrong until friday i came home from work he was limping . So i took him to the vet saterday and they broke the news to us ..

There is no help for him they said but some pain meds. Doc gives him 2 weeks to 4 months to live .. i have been crying sence Saterday.... My eyes are almost swolled shut .. I am just sick to my stomach ,he looks fine eating like a pig and still wants to run.. So im in denial , I look at him and think my beautiful baby how can you be dieing in side .. I dont no how im going to get through this .

I have never had to put a dog to sleep ... I will prob have to be put out my self..

Thanks for listening KElli

Guest HersheysMom
My beautiful baby boy who is 9 next month, was just diagnosed saterday with osteosarcoma in his leg and its has now spread to his lungs... NO signs of anything wrong until friday i came home from work he was limping . So i took him to the vet saterday and they broke the news to us ..

There is no help for him they said but some pain meds. Doc gives him 2 weeks to 4 months to live .. i have been crying sence Saterday.... My eyes are almost swolled shut .. I am just sick to my stomach ,he looks fine eating like a pig and still wants to run.. So im in denial , I look at him and think my beautiful baby how can you be dieing in side .. I dont no how im going to get through this .

I have never had to put a dog to sleep ... I will prob have to be put out my self..

Thanks for listening KElli

I'm so sorry! You'll find lots of ears & help on this board if you want to talk some more. :grouphug

To answer the OP, Starlight was diagnosed w/bone cancer at age 12.