Greyhounds And Cancer

Guest Ferrevergrey

Have you ever had a greyhound die of bone cancer?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a greyhound die of bone cancer?

• Yes, more then one
    • Yes, only one
    • No, but my greyhound died of a differenc cancer(please specify)
    • No
    • Other(please clarify)

Guest Ferrevergrey

I'm curious here. I volunteer for a small greyhound rescue group and right now I'm a little heart broken. We only have about 25 greyhounds in our group, yet in the last couple of months, our group has now lost 3 greyhounds to bone cancer :( I'm just wondering how common it is for greyhounds to get bone cancer. Also, if you can share how old your greyhound was. Jewel was only 10, Shadow was only 9, and I'm not sure how old Spice was, but I'm pretty sure she was younger then Shadow :(

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 and 10 are actually fairly old in a breed as large as the greyhound. It's an unfortunate fact that the better care you take of them and the longer they stay around, the higher the chance they will develop opportunistic diseases such as cancer. The bigger and taller the dog, the more prone they are to bone cancer. Extended growth period, rapid growth spurts and bone development, long legs, all contribute to this cancer.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Guest Greyhounds4ever

My Thia angel :angelwings died of lymphoma.

Edited to add that Thia was only 7 when she left for the Rainbow Bridge. :weep

Edited by Greyhounds4ever

Guest auntiesara

Sweetie was diagnosed at 10, and died at 12. Blackie was diagnosed at 12, died at 14. FaeRae was diagnosed at 12, died at 13. Our Rosie now has osteo. She was diagnosed at 14, about 6 months ago, and is still with us at 14 years, 10 months.

Charlie

My angel Shiloh was taken by lymphoma at age 7. :angelwings

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY

My Angel-Emma-died a few months shy of 12yrs. She had Malignant Melanoma. It actually started in her hip bone. I've been told that it's very rare for it to intially start there but, it did as the Ct scan proved. She just passed a few months ago. It's still a struggle not cry everytime I think of her. :weep:weep:weep She's now my Greyt Angel :angelwings

Guest gmadawn

My K.C. who was almost 12 went to the bridge 10 months ago...he had lung cancer and Dalton who was also almost 12 joined him in Feb of this year...he had chronic lymphosidic luekemia. So far no cancer signs with any of my 5 others ranging in age from 8 to 11

Guest JulieMango

Our Stella died 6 weeks ago of cancer. She had a large mass in her chest (so large the vet couldn't tell on the x-ray which mass was her heart and which was the tumor) and it was impairing her ability to breathe. We did not have tests done to confirm the particular type of cancer, but the vet thought it was bone cancer that had spread and was rapidly growing. (There was no sign of it a year earlier when she had extensive x-rays and tests due to a liver problem.) She was almost 12.

Guest Ferrevergrey

Okay, I'm just curious here-those of you who have never lost a greyhound to cancer, have you ever lost a greyhound?

I knew large breed dogs where very prone to cancer, but I didn't think it was this high! So far my group hasn't lost one dog just due to old age. Every grey my group has lost has been to some type of cancer-and it seems most of them where from bone cancer. We've only lost one to Lymphoma, and he's the only one that didn't die from bone cancer. Is that common, or could it just be an enviornmental issue or are greyhounds just that prone to bone cancer?

Edited by Animalover44

Guest Guest

Certainly Greys are prone to bone cancer. As others have said... any large or giant breed can get it... in my experience Greys do seem to run a higher incidence than other breeds.... but I do not have a study to quote to cooberate that.

Obviously with the better care we are able to provide now... dogs are living longer and are more likely to develop various forms of cancer. Very few dogs die from "old age". Some form of cancer is often the cause for euthanasia as is arthritis or some other debilitating disease that can no longer be managed.

-Feemandvm

Guest greys3pig1
I'm curious here. I volunteer for a small greyhound rescue group and right now I'm a little heart broken. We only have about 25 greyhounds in our group, yet in the last couple of months, our group has now lost 3 greyhounds to bone cancer :( I'm just wondering how common it is for greyhounds to get bone cancer. Also, if you can share how old your greyhound was. Jewel was only 10, Shadow was only 9, and I'm not sure how old Spice was, but I'm pretty sure she was younger then Shadow :(

We lost our first greyhound to bone cancer. He was almost 10. When we found out it had already gone to his lung he lasted 2 months.

He was a beautiful fawn boy (88 pounds). Very tall and long legged he raced till he was 5 years old. He was a grandson of Downing and was a good racer. He was also just as good as a pet we loved him and he loved us. I still miss him. He taught us so much and I hope to see him again someday.

Guest Snowy8

My black greyhound Bool died February 28, 2003 of kidney cancer. Unexpected...I had no idea. I came home & he was extremely sick, his stomach was extended & he was shaking uncontrollably & panting. I rushed him to Dr Blackburns & we thought it might just be his spleen...easy enough.

After performing an ultra-sound Gerald found a mass, so he scheduled surgery for Friday morning, once he got Bool stablelized....but instead of finding an inflammed spleen, he found a ruptured tumor inside the sack that holds the kidney...the kidney was engulfed. The cancer had spread to the abdominal wall.

He told me, Lets not let him wake up...

Bool is buried in the east pasture of my sister's horse farm & in my heart. I wanted to ask God "why" that morning, but I didn't. Its been 18 months & my heart still aches for my big black greyhound. :gh_run2

Guest Snowy8

I lost my first greyhound Sadie-Grey, to an Akita attack, slit her throat.

My 2nd greyhound to pass away was Picadilly, he had dementia...I had him put down. My 3rd greyhound Bool to kidney cancer, my 4th greyhound to die was Brogan from being bit by a spider, gangrene caused us to euthanise. Racer was my 5th greyhound to die, he died of a heart attack in my home, in my arms laying on the couch. Sadie-Grey was 14, Picadilly was 13, Bool was 7, Brogan was 13, Racer was 11.

:gh_lay:gh_run2:gh_run:gh_runner:gh_bow

Susan just made it to ten. She had kidney cancer which spread to her lungs. The only reason it wasn't totally unexpected was that kidney failure showed on a PABT - but the true nature of the disease was unknown till her last day.

Jim's now an old dog. He must be between 12 and 13, if not a bit older. He has had several cancerous skin lumps removed, but his biggest problem now is that his heart is not in great shape. We've had bloods and urine tests done in the last couple of months and everything else is working well :thumbsup. The vet thinks it'll probably be his heart that lets him down.

When you talk about animals (or people) dying of 'old age', well, there really isn't such a thing. Usually that just means that one or more of the major systems is failing. Often it's heart or kidneys. Sometimes it's the liver. Sometimes it's a more general thing like the blood, or the immune system.

What people sometimes don't realise is that cancer can occur because of a failure in the immune system.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Ferrevergrey

I never thought of it that way. I guess when I started this I was just upset at Shadow's death-He was only 9, that's not that old(in my eyes at least), and Jewel was only 11. I guess there's no telling when Cancer or another common disease of old age will take them :(

People are also more likely to get cancer than ever before. I think that's partly lifestyle, partly environmental - as well as the genetic and immune factors, and the fact that we are just living longer.

I bet you know somone who has had cancer. At least it is no longer the death sentence that it once was :)

It's hard to lose a dog, or any other pet, and anger is part of grief. :bighug

Guest Ferrevergrey

You bet I know someone with cancer! Quite a few, really. Is there any proof of things that can help prevent cancer? Or even possibly?

Guest mleg2001

Only thing you can really do is live life as cleanly as possible and even then there is no guarantees. Over the years there has been quite an advancement in science, some is good, some is believe to offer great benefits but is later found to have adverse side effects.

Some examples Urea Formaldehyde Foam Insulation it had wonderful home insulating properties, the goverment encouraged homeowners to have this installed in their homes by offering incentives like large large rebates or tax credits, it was later found to cause cancer, my brother and myself both went thru our teen years living in a home containing UFFI in our twenties we both developed cancer to our reproductive organs, we were lucky it was caught early and we are both going strong 20 years later, but trying to prove that UFFI actually caused the cancer would be darn near impossible, as we were exposed to other chemicals and cigarette smoke.

Other examples was the development of pesticides like DDT, it allowed farmers to have larger yields but was later found to cause cancer, and destroyed bird and fishlife, almost brought the american bald eagle to extinction, there was food colourings that were taken off the market because they realized they caused cancer, paints that contained lead, x ray machines, some of the preservatives that are used in bakeries to make sandwich breads last longer(BHT/BHA yes the same thing as we worry about in dog food) are thought to cause cancer, leaded gasoline and the list goes on and on often these products are used for years we believe they are safe and then one day it becomes banned because studies finally confirmed that cancer can be caused by them under controlled settings.

Guest Snowy8

You know, this is part of my "speech" to people that come in to adopt. Some want to adopt the young ones, fall in love with an older one, but go ahead & think they need the young one. I tell them a young one can drop dead just as fast as an old one. I had an elkhound who died at 4 yrs old of pancreatitus, his mate died at 15.

We see children die at 2 hrs old & adults die at 120...so you're right age has hardly anything to do with it.

Yep, anger is part of the grief process...but you must get through it.

We're here for you. :gh_lay

Guest threefasthounds

Irene passed January 27 of this year due to liver cancer. Her brother, Ace, is in the final stages of lymphoma, and we will probably be assisting him to the bridge in a very short time.

Recent research suggests green tea can help prevent some types of cancer, but you have to drink between four and ten cups a day. I think you can get green tea extract capsules from health food shops if you don't like the taste.

Trouble is, each different class of cancer has its own causes and triggers. There are genetic factors, and environmental factors, and some are even caused/triggered by viruses. I agree that living as clean a life as possibly will help, and also making sure there are plenty of antioxidant vitamins in the diet, and reducing the amount of pollutants/chemicals taken into the body - which should help reduce free radical damage. I now give my two vit C and vit E as supplements. Different species have different requirements though, and I don't know enough to say what would be the best combination for greyhounds as opposed to people.

I also make DH smoke in only one room, with the window open. If I could banish him, I would, but he refuses to be banished :lol