My Missy Passed Away Sept. 23

Guest loreha

I really wished I would have found this site sooner! I had a greyhound that we adopted about 5 1/2 years ago. She was 5 and just came from the track.. She was a beautiful black with a little white puppy dog... She had no health problems and was always full of piss and viniger!!! On Sat. Sept. 6 she was outside playing with our chihuahua mix and I heard a horrible scream come from her. I ran outside to find her holding her left front leg up and crying.. I got her inside and tried to get a hold of the vet. But from being in a rural area there is no oncall emergency vets here. We kept her as comfortable as we could by giving her asprin. Early the next morning we loaded her up and drove 3 hours from here to Ithaca N.Y. to Cornell Animal Hospital.. They admitted her cause she broke her humorus. She inderwent surgery on the following tuesday to have it plated and pinned then on Thurs. she tried to stand on her own and fell and dislocated her right hip. They did surgery to put it back and whatever to hold it there. after 11 long days of being away from home she was alowed to come home. She needed to be walked by a sling and leash. She was improving nicely. Well Tues of this week came around and she wouldn't get up with help, she wouldn't eat of drink. She wouldn't put any weight on either bad leg. I called the hospital and they said to bring her right up. So off we went. After their exam they said that she had dislocated her hip once again and by that she had reinjured her front leg but they wouldn't know the extent of it till they did xrays. They wanted to admit her and due further surgery on her hip in the morning. My Husband and I discussed this on our way up there that if this was the case that we would not put her through this torture again.. She will not heal with only 2 good legs... We had her put down about 7:30 Tuesday September 23, 2003. We are also having her creamated. It was the hardest thing we had ever had to do, but I am at peace with the decision we made and new it was for the best.. She is no longer hurt and suffering.. She is running free. My heart has been broken....

Greyhounds are a wonderful animal. Mine was so full of love and always wanting to please you any way possible.. She will always be in my heart...

What a beauty!!! I'm so very sorry for your loss, I think you made the right decision, even though it was a difficult one. Missy is now pain free and running and playing with all the other bridgekids. Sending healing prayers to help your broken hearts.

Hugs,

Karen

Praying for all the missing greys!

I am so sorry for your loss. How very brave & courageous of you to make that choice for your loved one.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

I'm so sorry. She was a lovely girl. Here's a sonnet that I found when my first GH, Joe, died. I hope it brings you some comfort:

Mindful of you the sodden earth in spring,

And all the flowers that in the springtime grow,

And dusty roads, and thistles, and the slow

Rising of the round moon, all throats that sing

The summer through, and each departing wing,

And all the nests that the bared branches show,

And all winds that in any weather blow,

And all the storms that the four seasons bring.

You go no more on exultant feet

Up paths that only mist and morning knew,

Or watch the wind, or listen to the beat

Of a bird's wings too high in air to view,--

But you were something more than young and sweet

And fair,--and the long year remembers you.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Edited by joesgreypoupon

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Goodbye, beautiful Missy. As you're playing and running like the wind in the land over the bridge, remember how much your family loved you. They will miss you forever, sweet girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. She was a much loved little girl. Run free sweetheart, in the arms of the angels.

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY