Older grey is territorial within new grey

We’ve had out girl for 7 years and she’s 9 now. She has full run of the house and has a crate where she sleeps and has her treats. 

Recently, we’ve added another grey girl to our family who is 2 years old. Our older girl seems to like having her around for the most part, but has been growl-snapping at her when she comes near her in certain areas. These areas seem to be mostly her laying/sleeping area (e.g. her dog crate and some dog beds throughout the house). It’s interesting because she doesn’t seem to mind our new girl laying in these beds and even her crate sometimes. However, if our older girl is already there and our new girl comes by, the territorial behavior will occur.

At first it was just in the bedroom so we tried to keep the new girl out of there and off of the bed. The behavior though now occurs in a few different areas of our home and even when we are at our camper. 

We’re trying to figure out what we should do to correct the behavior. Shout at her and say no? Keep the dogs separated? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Sounds like they are just trying to figure things out.  Remember it is how they communicate.  As long as it is just grumbles and greyhound smack talk it is ok they will figure it out.  If you are worried about a bite make sure muzzles are on as soon as they figure things out this will stop usually does not take too long.   This is just a normal adjustment behavior the 9yr old is just making sure the 2yr old knows it is her house and her beds.  You can help by making them feel secure in their place in the home 9 yr old gets stuff first then 2yr old.  So the 9yr old does not lose her place in the pack.  When everyone is secure in their place the growling and snapping will only show up for excited play. 

So relax and if needed redirect the 2yr old to another bed or area.  Seven years is a long time to have the house to yourself so give her some time to learn it is ok to share.  They may benefit from a little separate space of their own also.  Becoming a new family takes time and if they want to bite they do not miss so take the snaps and growls as dog talk.  Muzzles are a great way to save on vet visits too.

Typical behavior for 2 females? Hopefully not in this case but over the years I've observed females are far more likely to scuffle. Males tend to be more laid back. I always get the opposite of the sex I currently have when acquiring a new dog if possible and I swear I have fewer disagreements in the pack.:dunno

Welcome!

There was similar behavior when my current girl moved in, after a honeymoon period.  When the male, who has always been a little hierarchy-obsessed, figured out ishe was permanent, he wanted to make sure she stayed a respectful distance when going by the place where he was lying down.  Snarks were exchanged fairly often.  I guess it is pretty normal behavior, and I just let them work it out.  

The only time it still occurs is when I am on the sofa eating something and he is lying by me.  If Gelsey comes near, he jumps up and snarks at her.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Super common behavior all around.  An older dog disciplining a younger dog, AND a long term resident setting down boundaries for a new interloper.

Unless the younger dog seems disposed to snark back, I would let them work it out while keeping an eye out for escalation.  You don't say how recent the new adoption was, but this could last for several months to a year depending on how quickly the younger dog learns the rules of the house.  DO NOT discipline the older dog - she's not doing anything wrong, and she's not being aggressive.  If she wanted to bite, she would have by now.  Growling, staring, even air snaps and snarking are all normal communication techniques between new housemates.

Make sure you're not causing further confusion.  Your older dog should get fed first (put her bowl down first), get treats first, get to precede the younger dog inside and outside the doors, remember to give her her own time with you (solo walks or brushing sessions, for instance).  Give her the respect she's due as the pack leader, and your younger dog will get in line faster.  If you want to be proactive, redirect the younger dog to another bed option when she seems like she's causing an issue.  And reward your older dog when she allows interactions near the resources she's inclined to guard.

Many people say to never have two females together, but I've never had any issues that way.  I've had as many as four females at the same time and never had any serious problems.  But I'm also very concientious in muzzling when needed, and supervising interactions at all times.  At this point I would not leave them alone together unsecured, or out in the yard unmuzzled.

The rule for new adoptions is "3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years."  You should see some adjustments happening around those three time frames.  Time and patience.  Patience and time

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly