Librela

13 hours ago, macoduck said:

Regarding the FB page, the bad stories about Librela are scary so I no longer view the page. I see the different opinions akin to discussions about dog food brands that are good vs horrible.

Exactly. The individuals that have horror stories might not be attributing their animal's problems to the right source. Even if they are, there is no context: no indication of numbers of bad reactions relative to good. I'd much rather trust my vet or read regulator reports and reputable medical sites, of which there are many.

ETA: I'm so glad that Howie is better with Librela. So is Toodles. :) 

Edited by GreyPoopon
  • Like 3

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

On 2/8/2024 at 10:46 PM, Bogangles said:

Very funny. I hope this does not come back to bite you. After all the mistakes done to my dog outside of this I pray yours do not suffer by using a drug which has so very many downsides and deaths.

Thank you, but it’s not likely. We lost Buddy last October to an unrelated condition after being on Librela for his final 13 months. I’m fairly sure that without it, we would have had to say goodbye to him a good deal sooner, as he was almost certainly in pain from his arthritis and his quality of life would not have been as good as it became on Librela, and that’s why I wouldn’t hesitate to use it again.

As others have said, we needed to increase the dosage in the last three months of Buddy’s life

• Like 3

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

• 1 month later...

Librela has greatly helped Howie's arthritis. He's had 2 injections so far. We're 2 weeks away from injection #3 but I am going to hold off on it. I noticed very recently that he pants for about an hour in the afternoon and two days ago he started peeing in the house. His UTI check was negative today. The panting and change in his pee habit are low on the list of side effects of Librela. But since they are on the list we are going to take a break. Librela has a long half-life. When we're at one to two months of him being off it we'll reconsider using it again since there's a chance that he is reacting to stress in the house. Rita month-long treatment for leishmaniasis and Flashy's 2 day stay at the E-vet have upset all of us.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

9 hours ago, macoduck said:

Librela has greatly helped Howie's arthritis. He's had 2 injections so far. We're 2 weeks away from injection #3 but I am going to hold off on it. I noticed very recently that he pants for about an hour in the afternoon and two days ago he started peeing in the house. His UTI check was negative today. The panting and change in his pee habit are low on the list of side effects of Librela. But since they are on the list we are going to take a break. Librela has a long half-life. When we're at one to two months of him being off it we'll reconsider using it again since there's a chance that he is reacting to stress in the house. Rita month-long treatment for leishmaniasis and Flashy's 2 day stay at the E-vet have upset all of us.

Good luck Duckie. I hope that you can identify and resolve the issue.

• Like 1

Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• 5 months later...

It's 6 days before Milo's scheduled 5th Librela injection (30 days is schedule) and his rear legs are looking weak.  This is the symptom that brought us to Librela.  Last month, he was doing so well that I delayed the shot 4 days, and finally gave it to him before he started showing weakness again.  Has anyone else's dog shown an erratic response?  Because of Milo's chronic cancer, we did not do definitive tests before starting him on Librela;  it was more of a "what do we have to lose" situation, so I'm not sure what his underlying problem(s) are.  Vet thought spinal arthritis.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

2 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

It's 6 days before Milo's scheduled 5th Librela injection (30 days is schedule) and his rear legs are looking weak.  This is the symptom that brought us to Librela.  Last month, he was doing so well that I delayed the shot 4 days, and finally gave it to him before he started showing weakness again.  Has anyone else's dog shown an erratic response?

Yes, with both dog and cats (on the sister drug, Solensia). It isn't unusual for the interval to shorten, although I don't know how much of that is the drug and how much is due to the underlying condition(s). One of my foster kitties is on a double dose and is lucky to get three weeks. We were considering shortening the interval for Toodles, but we hadn't done anything before she failed.