Retired racer won’t eat if we are in the room

We just adopted a 2 y/o girl from Ireland 1 day ago.  She is so timid, I don’t blame her as she’s starting off a completely new life.  One thing we are having a problem with is that she won’t eat unless we leave.  We have to either go in a room for 10 minutes or go outside.  She also doesn’t get up to drink water, so we have been bringing it to her so she does drink.  Has anyone else had this happened?  I don’t mind giving her the space as she adjusts but I don’t want to create these habits either.  She’s very scared on walks that there a times she won’t go to the bathroom.  I know it’s only been a couple of days but this is my first grey with this much fear.

One day is too soon to worry about this.  Do you have a fenced yard? If so, leash walk her in the yard to go potty. A long leash may be more helpful within your fenced yard but do not use a flexi-lead retractable leash ever.  No fenced yard? Then keep walks short and routine. She is going through a huge amount of changes in her life right now.

If she doesn't each within 10 minutes of you being present (but not really really close to her, take her bowl up and try an hour later. Leave water down all the time but don't bring it to her.

When she gives you a positive response to anything, give her a small treat.

This link will take you to a resource page where you'll see several topics to help you. https://www.greyhoundfriends.com/adopt/resources/

Also read this free pdf download "Lost Greyhound Emergency" now and hope you never need it. https://www.greyhoundfriends.com/2022/06/lost-greyhound-booklet/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

One of my hounds came to me from his racing kennel because they quickly realized that he was just to timid and frightened to be able to handle the hustle and bustle of racing.  He was particularly freaked out by strangers.  I think it helped him to have me as relaxed and undemanding as possible in the early months.  It also helped that he came into a home with a resident gentle, confident Greyhound to help him settle in.  Routines around walks, meals, etc. helped.  I also made a point of not really expecting much of him--no efforts to train, no big trips downtown to walk, no trips to the pet store.  My watchwords with Spirit were to be calm, quiet, patient, gentle, observant and encouraging.  Think in terms of months, not days.  You are building a relationship that will last for her lifetime and there is no hurry.  You are, on both sides, watching and learning about the others expectations, likes and dislikes, quirks, delights, limits.  With the shy, frightened ones there is such delight in watching them bloom and learn to trust you.  However, that takes time and patience.

Try a number of different things and find the treats or foods that she get excited about.  Those make great rewards.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

My first one was very timid and although she would eat and drink she totally ignored me for the first two days. I kept the house quiet and calm and let her acclimatise at her own pace.

Over about 6 months she got used to the outside world and stopped statuing on walks, got used to traffic and got more confident with meeting other dogs.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 2 weeks later...

When I adopted Apollo he was as timid as can be.  He didn't want food, water or attention.  So other than taking him outside for walks, I let him do his thing.  Gradually he got used to the routine.  And he's still timid, but he is gaining confidence with every positive interaction.  

Just remember that EVERYTHING is brand new to your greyhound.  Imagine what it would be like if every time you went outside you had never smelled grass or trees or seen the sun, or heard a car drive by or seen a squirrel or smelled the mulch, or heard a bird, or saw other dogs walking by or seen stairs or ....  Basically, the first few days/weeks can be overwhelming to all of their senses.  

Your hound may be used to being fed in the crate and may have had a water bucket attached to a crate as well. I'm not sure how they do feeding and watering in Ireland kennels, but much of your dog's life has likely been centered around a crate until now. Make sure she has a crate as her safe space with the door open when you are home so she can come and go. She will learn the routine of the house soon, but for right now is completely unsure what is expected of her and needs time to learn the new surroundings and new routine. Good luck! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life