Adoption question: Grade IV Heart Murmur and Elevated LFT

Aden

I am considering adopting a 5 year old Female Italian Greyhound mix from my local shelter. When I inquired about her, they stated that she has a grade IV heart murmur and elevated liver enzymes. She was found as an underweight stray and has since gained weight. A grade IV heart murmur sounds like a poor prognosis, though I imagine her elevated LFT is d/t the previous malnourishment. I am an avid runner, and I hope to run with my dog. As a first-time dog owner, I'm worried her poor health will persist, which is not something I'm prepared for. How serious is a grade IV heart murmur for an italian greyhound? Should she not run?

I've have several italian greyhounds and I would not consider as a running partner. They, like greyhounds, are more of a sprinter than runner. A grade 4 murmur would nix that for me too. A local shelter may not be financially able to run all the tests that an italian greyhound rescue group would. At 5 years of age she would just be getting past the age of being at higher risk for leg fractures. But given her limited medical history and malnourishment, I don't think she would be a running partner.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

There is more information about heart murmurs in dogs here

https://www.smalldoorvet.com/learning-center/medical/heart-murmur-in-dogs

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Also, I seriously doubt an Italian Greyhound could run much farther than around the block.  I've seen quite a few at LGRA meets and 200 yards is a long ways for one of those tiny guys!  They also do not run very quickly compared to larger dogs due to their "hackney" style of moving.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

How far do you run? I have two regular greys and they run with me, but we only do about 5-8k, and there is a lot of stopping to pee and sniff. My partner also runs but he refuses to run with the dogs as he finds all the stopping annoying. I don't mind it, except when Badger stops abruptly and pees on my leg as I can't stop in time. That's great fun!

I prefer to run with one dog. Our last greyhound would creep off to bed if I got my running kit on so I only ran with Badger, but since she died our new dog has major FOMO so wants to come too. It does mean a tangle of leads and tripping over if I'm not careful. 

i think you will get a better, more accurate answer on an Italian Greyhound site, try Facebook. Italian Greyhounds are included in toy breeds vs. Greyhounds are hounds- sighthounds to be specific. My friend in Texas walks her healthy young IG a good 4 miles a day, but that's a young healthy dog and she is NOT jogging.