Very tender head and neck - ongoing - any ideas?

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help please.

My mum's dog has had a ongoing issue for approx. 6-7 months that the vets cannot seem to get to the bottom of.

She has a tender head and neck and yelps when touched anywhere from her head to just behind her shoulders.

She has had an xray which did not show anything.  They have also checked her ears.  

She has takin Gavapentine (painkiller) previously and takes Meloxidyl (for joints?).

Currently she's behaving unusually - hiding under bushes in the corner of the garden and not wanting to come out, panting and generally looking unwell.  Her eating is quite erratic.  She seems to go through phases of looking unwell/ behaving oddly and then perking up a bit and behaving more normally. Another vet trip today hasn't got us any further.

We would be grateful for any suggestions please as we're not sure what to do next.  Many thanks :)

How old is she? Any documented racing injuries or a significant time break in racing history? I would get a second opinion, blood work-up (based on GREYHOUND values), x-ray entire spine and front legs. There are alternative methods to treat pain and inflammation, but I would make sure every thing else is within normal limits.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

the panting reflects pain. there are other combos of meds that can be used for pain and the benign way of treating this would be an extended period of pain med/anti-inflammatories and crate rest. no more collars for her, use a harness to quick take her out to potty and back to the crate. i hate when exams become expensive but have x-rays of her neck/shoulders/spine(as palmetto bug mentioned) been taken yet? also, take the records to another vet and get a 2nd opinion. has her head/neck been physically manipulated to see the range of mobility by the current vet? sounds like something is pressing on a vertabra.

Before I got Guinness he was having trouble with his shoulder and or his front leg. The vet couldn't find anything but wanted his adoption charity to spend hundreds of more pounds investigating. Luckily for Guinness and the charity's bank account the greyhound physio from the next door racing kennels had a look and after a couple of sessions had him back to normal. She had managed to release a trapped nerve in his neck.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Thank you for all the replies.

She's 7-8 I think and has no known running injuries.  She has had an xray and nothing untoward was picked up on.  Will take on board the idea of a harness rather than collar and perhaps look into physio too - and possibly try to get a second opinion from another vet.

:)

IMO she is exhibiting PAIN from a spinal issue.  Probably a bad disk.  I have had several houndies with back/neck issues.  It does not get "better" per se but can be managed pretty good with the right medication protocol.  I generally used Robaxin and tramadol (though people now will tell you Tramadol doesn't help) and supplements like chrondroitan sulfate and glucosamine.  They can do quite well once you address the pain/inflammation.  I would definitely restrict activity until she improves significantly or you find out a more definitive diagnosis.  If it is something serious like a bulging disk then running/jumping could take them down.  I know. I had 2 non-ambulatory hounds at the same time once.  Good luck. Start by diagnosing what is causing the pain; give the appropriate meds and then all should be well so don't despair.  You might need to switch vets. It is extremely difficult to find competent vet care in the region where I live and currently have to drive over 60 miles one way to find one that is caring and competent.