Help Acclimating Dogs

Some of you may have read my Off Topic post about my SIL moving in with us with her 2 dogs to remove herself from an abusive situation.

So far things are slowly moving forward.

My biggest concern now is making sure the dogs figure it out.
My one grey is very territorial and quite the alfa.
My SIL’s one dog is an Alfa but she seems to have yielded to my grey and is just keeping to her own space.
Her other dog, sadly is a younger, smaller male. He’s very sweet and just wants to be around us… which leads me to the problem. When he comes over and wants to be with us my grey gets super territorial and has gone after him a few times. Lucky for us he immediately backs off and doesn’t engage.

So any help/advice on how to help the situation is appreciated. I just want everyone to be safe and as happy as possible. 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Just my 2 cents:  I had two females that each one thought they were in charge.  It came down to management one was a street dog was the original dog and a greyhound who was a big winner and was a favorite at her kennel or so the story went.  As long as the sd got attention first everything was fine (food, treats, greeted, let in/out). If the order was upset there would be trouble between the two.  So might try to enforce a pecking order.  Just so they feel safe in there place in the house.  Might try talking to your gh first then her male dog.  
Or rotate the time they have with everyone, so they all get some people time to them selves.  With the rest in another area.

Best wishes for one big happy group.

When I got Guinness I made sure I gave Grace, my first greyhound, her treats first. I also put Grace's food down first and put her lead on first when going out for walkies. What I'm trying to say is to give your grey his treats, food and fuss first so he knows in your eyes he's still the boss and hasn't got to fight for his place.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I am definitely trying to do these things.
Trying to make sure my grey Amelia gets first pets, treats, etc. 
We are also trying to feed everyone separately so no issues arise there. 

It's mainly when the male comes around us for attention. She gets snarly and jealous. 

Everyone else seems to have figured it out... including her 2 dogs who've never seen a cat before. They figured out my cat is just some odd animal we don't want to be around LOL

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

1 hour ago, 2greyhoundMINI said:

It's mainly when the male comes around us for attention. She gets snarly and jealous. 

Can you use a new word “snuggles” (make up your own word) and get her to come to you first and give her some attention then give him some?  Then later on when you say snuggles she has a choice to come or not.  Hence not using whatever work you use for a recall.  
As they get settled in and figure out there is enough attention for everyone this should get better if they all feel secure and know what to expect in the group.

Muzzle until you know the little is safe.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Is your doggo protecting you or protecting the space, or does your doggo have a genuine dislike for the other doggo?

If your doggo thinks she is protecting you, then be proactive when you see her tense up, or feel her start to tense up...  get up, move towards the other dog, put yourself between them... refocus the attention, distract your protective girl.  The problem is... you have to be 100% observant and aware of all of her little signals, and able to react to them quickly.  Your reaction can be throwing a tennis ball, or a shaker (soda can filled with a few nuts and bolts and taped shut) or just a loud word (I used HEY!)  It just has to be enough to diffuse the situation, put the attention on you and at that point, move away or redirect their energies to something more positive.

If it's the space, re-arrange some things and get her a nice secure area where new doggo doesn't get to go.

I also encourage a lot of walking them together.  Walks have a way bonding all of us, maybe it's the shared experience?

It's kind of rough, if you're one of 2 doggos and all of a sudden 2 new doggos come on the scene and all those new smells and personalities and OMG that new dog likes my person!!  MY PERSON!!!  So as that person, you have to help that transition as positively as you can.

Hope this helps.

Well, BIG UPDATE:

This entire dilemma is now a mute point.

After days of just chaos and my SIL being completely miserable, she finally called her husband and had an actual conversation with him about things.
Turns out it was more of lack of communication on their part which led to lack of help and understanding than it was abuse I am happy to report.

SO! She packed her stuff up and left the next morning to head home.
I know it was the right thing to do... her entire demeanor changed instantly. She really didn't want to leave her home, her husband or her life.

To make sure things ARE ok, my husband and I will make sure to keep in contact with her frequently to make sure she is doing what she promised us all she'd do to improve things and not be so down. 

But once again it was very obvious that our Amelia likes to be the lone, alfa dog.
We do have Carmen, our other grey, but she allows Amelia to reign and it's pretty harmonious with them.

Thank you all for the advice. I truly enjoy this community. 

6 hours ago, Remolacha said:

I hope everything works out for her :goodluck

And glad that you have peace in your house again :lol

Thank you and I hope so as well. My husband has offered some financial help to remedy a lot of the source of their friction. That way they don’t have to worry and can focus on their relationship.

And I am very thankful to have a peaceful home again. The girls seem very happy and relaxed again.