New greyhound settling in

We rescued our 5 year old greyhound a week and a half ago and she was settling in really well at first. She seems very relaxed and content and was left short periods of time and was fine. Shes had a few toilet accidents over night despite us getting up early to let her out but I'm not worried by this as it has been a handful of times.

The last two days when I have left for 1-2 hours max! She has shredded a cushion, torn up a birthday card and jumped at our TV which is on the wall on a bracket and has slightly scratched the corner. We don't fuss when leaving or returning and ive tried To peek through the window after leaving and all she does it stretch and lie down, she is happy when we return but not over the top excited - just her usual chilled self. She is fine overnight, goes to her bed and doesn't cry. 

I just cant work out why she would jump at a tv? It seems very odd and she doesn't seem to be showing separation anxiety. 

The shredding and jumping at the TV are signs of an anxious dog… ‘separation anxiety’.  

She is anxious about being alone and this is how she is telling you.

Not all hounds display SA by barking, pacing etc. 

Do a search here on alone training… you’ll get some good advice and ideas.

As well, Patricia McConnell has a wonderful booklet ‘I’ll be Home Soon’. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Sounds like she saw her reflection in the tv or maybe the shadow of her movement and it startled her. Make sure to leave a radio or the TV on for her so that there is some noise to block out other strange noises from outside as well as to break up the silence. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

37 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

Sounds like she saw her reflection in the tv or maybe the shadow of her movement and it startled her. Make sure to leave a radio or the TV on for her so that there is some noise to block out other strange noises from outside as well as to break up the silence. 

Thank you, I did wonder if she saw herself in the reflection but wasn't sure. I left her in the kitchen for 30 minutes as I had to go out again and she was fine. 

I did leave the radio on when she was in the kitchen, so maybe you're right and this helped! Thank you for the tip. 

We will just have to keep helping her to feel secure and safe in her new home. 

It's a process, not a solution.  As she settles in things will be fluid regarding her behavior and her responses to both novel things and familiar things.  The rule of thumb is "three days, three weeks, three months."  You'll see new aspects of her personality emerge the safer and more relaxed she gets.  And even after three years you can see them develop new behaviors - my 6 years old, who's been home for 4 years now - recently started barking and playbowing with me when she wants to play.  Something she's reserved for other dogs previously.

My question was whether the tv was on or not.  If it was off, it's likely she saw a reflection that caused a reaction - windows and stove doors are the classic places for this but any reflective surface will work.  If it was on, likely there was a sound or picture that caused the reaction.  Certain bell sounds or sirens always make my dogs prick up their ears, even after years as a pet.  Leaving an alternate sound source on will probably help her remain calm as there's nearly always a radio playing in the kennels.  

As far as the overnight accidents, make sure she is completely parasite free, as an infestation can cause increased urgency to pee as well as poop.  Hookworms are *extremely* common in newly adopted retired racers, so even if they told you she was wormed and even if she's tested negative, test her again!!!  You need three negative tests spaced apart at 2 week intervals to make sure she's clear.  These drug resistant hooks can be really (really, really) hard to get rid of, often taking months of treatments.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Create a routine when you are leaving her. Dogs love routines, some more than others. When I'm leaving my two I get myself ready without any fuss, fill a Kong for each of them with kibble, put the radio on to a station that is mostly talking or classical music, give them the Kongs and tell them to "be good" then leave.

I have a webcam set up that also records movement so I can keep an eye on them while I'm out. It also helps to see if they have misbehaved what the trigger was. So far I've got hours of footage of dogs roaching, changing beds and sleeping :D

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time