Lucy

Hi there,

I have rescued the most beautiful female greyhound 3 months ago she is absolutely perfect in every way apart from when I have to leave her. I feel like I am at my whitts end I have tried her in a crate I have tried calming tablets I have bought a security cam but she whines and Howels almost the whole time I am not there. Please help!!!

Do a search on here for Separation anxiety / SA

I’m sure there will be some excellent advice on how to do ‘alone’ training.

Please don’t forget  that Lucy has never been alone in her entire life.
She’s always had many greyhounds around her and people coming and going in and out of the  kennels all day. 
And living in a house is totally new to her. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Yes.  Separation Anxiety is probably the number one thing we see here so there are many (many many many) threads about it.  Look for the most recent ones as they will have the most current thinking.

Best advice is to get the book/ebook "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell.  She's a good trainer and gives step by step instructions on how to get your dog comfortable with staying by themselves.

If, after reading and working with your dog conscientiously and regularly, she still can't be left without becoming upset and anxious, the best thing may be to return her so she can be adopted into a home with 24/7 companions, and you can find a greyhound who's fine being a solo dog.  Some dogs just can't be left alone.  It's not a failure or a condemnation on her part or yours.  It just wasn't the right fit for either of you.  

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

11 hours ago, Lucy said:

Hi there,

I have rescued the most beautiful female greyhound 3 months ago she is absolutely perfect in every way apart from when I have to leave her. I feel like I am at my wits end I have tried her in a crate I have tried calming tablets I have bought a security cam but she whines and howls almost the whole time I am not there. Please help!!!

Does she sleep in the same room as you?

Grace didn't like being crated because although she slept in it with the door open she soon learned that if I persuaded her into it it meant she was going to be left alone for a bit. I found a Kong filled with food given to her just before I left stopped her concentrating on what I was doing, i.e. leaving her, and she'd settle down.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Related tip:  If you live in a place where neighbors can hear Lucy howl, leave a note of explanation and apology for them (and maybe some cookies ;) ) and assure them that you are working on it.  That would probably help defuse any ill will.  Hugs to you and Lucy.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter