Cancer?

I posted a couple months ago on our hound Fiona, 7.5 yo grey.  She fractured her left humerus in late Oct.  was surgically repaired.  Healed well. But she has been slow reusing it.  Good progress then regress and progress then regress again.  They took images from time to time throughout.  Said it looked good. Likely “soft tissue” sensitivity etc..  rimadyl.  She went to another vet yesterday (we moved).  He took a look.  Said this ain’t right.  Took x ray.  He said he’s “90% sure it’s cancer, 10% maybe an infection”.  He even circled it on the x ray I brought from the previous vet that said everything looked good.  How could two, three vets be so far apart?   She is healthy and strong and eating all just fine.  Not using the leg much but slowing making progress.  Now this.  I do not know what to do now.  She’s home.  But I’m lost as to what’s next or what to do about this. 

This was also posted in your other thread. https://www.greyhoundhealthinitiative.org/consultation-for-ownersadopters/

Do you know if any of those vets were greyhound-savvy? Frankly, my opinion maybe extreme but I think they should be the ones to pay the consulting fee for Dr Couto's review of Fiona's case. It may give you the answer that in comparing to the first xrays, that surgery was not necessary because of the onset of cancer.

Is amputation something you would consider or could afford? Not everyone can. Have chest and abdomen xrays been done to rule out mets?

Keep her leashed when out for walks. Be careful on stairs or jumping down from furniture.

But more importantly, love and spoil her.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

The new vet has two greyhounds himself.  The previous ones specifically warned it may be cancer (when her humerus fractured) and then said they don’t see it, ruled it out.  Now it’s suddenly cancer.  I would want to confirm it’s cancer no?  And if so if it’s spread yes.  She’s strong and I would consider amputation but only if she’ll live.  Why careful jumping or activity?   

Definitely sounds like it would be worth having Dr Cuoto give you a second (third) opinion.  He is the expert on these cases.  

https://www.coutovetconsultants.com/

Good luck! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Agree with the above.  Dr Couto is the best and responds as quickly as he is able, even when he's traveling.  Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

55 minutes ago, Pete said:

I emailed him

I may take several days to hear back from him. He will need any xrays, lab results, and reports from your vet. Either you or your vet can send them directly to him.

Was a chest xray done? If they saw signs that metastasis of the cancer spread to her chest then your girl would most likely not be a candidate for amputation. Fiona is at the age when most greyhounds are diagnosed with osteosarcoma.   :(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Pete, I think this is the current thread we have running on osteo. You will find a lot of resources in the first post, and you'll see many of our members have been in a similar position to you and Fiona.

tiny hada siggy.png