A different dog from adoption day - thoughts?

Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time poster :)

My husband and I adopted Chip (formerly YMe) just over a year ago and have enjoyed having him as our companion (first time greyhound owners). When we first met Chip at the adoption foster home, he was the most happy-go-lucky greyhound we have ever met - running around, wagging his tail, giving kisses and air snapping...etc. Super excited to meet us and it won us over. He was a bit shy settling in and took nicely to lounging his beds around the home while we both worked from home during the pandemic. We've noticed some shifts though in the year we've had him, and wonder what may have happened to change this happy dog into a much more reserved, fearful boy. 

Because of the pandemic, Chip was really only meeting people outside on our walks. We noticed a few weeks in he gave a slight growl to a neighbor across the road when he was talking with me. The neighbor is a bit awkward, and I feel like he might have been making a lot of prolonged eye contact with Chip - which was a strong move and Chip reacted. I don't blame him. But there have now been several instances where Chip have met men either outside or coming into our home that he has growled or aggressively barked as soon as they got in close range. Interestingly enough, he met my in-laws right after we adopted him and he loves when they visit and has no issue when first meeting them. But other family members met months later are triggering and he reacts to them (if they call his name or make noises Chip will run at them and start barking). I'm not sure if he is resource guarding his "homes" and people, is fearful, or if he just needs a lot of outside meetings before trusting men...women are typically not an issue. 

Additionally, we started getting some couch resource guarding (growling if my husband approaches him on couch and snarling if trying to move him), so we revoked that right and do some "up" and "off" training commands so that if he does get up there, we have effective ways to remove him from the furniture. He also hasn't been a fan of getting picked up for bath time or being hovered over. I don't blame him, but it is pretty crushing for my husband, who wants to cuddle with his dog. It is just so shocking, because we were the first of a long list to adopt Chip because of his friendly demeanor and easy-going nature. The foster bragged about how he would sleep during nail grooming with her - where as we almost had a bite incident last week with the dremel on his nails (just getting worse each time we trim his nails). I'm trying to incorporate small training steps with everything (rewarding when men pass us in the park, setting the dremel next to him and putting treats near it, got a trainer for separation anxiety and men issues...etc.), but it has been a bit defeating. 

I don't know if there have been too many big adjustments over the last year (we just moved to a new state and my husband went back into the office for work) that have made him fearful, but I want to do my best to make this a safe and happy home for Chip, my family, and any guests. Hit me with your wisdom and truth! Thank all!

I can’t offer much advice except to say that my dog (as many are not) is not fond of being hovered over / leant over, especially when lying down. We have had him for three and half years and that hasn’t changed, so we have. We don’t do it. And if we do and he reacts we consider it to be our fault.

I also find it very hard to know what Buddy means/wants when he barks or growls sometimes. He is not a very vocal dog but he does growl when he’s excited and we don’t automatically think that it’s a display of aggression. Obviously I’m not there with you and can’t say for sure, but we look at his body language in conjunction with his vocalisation. I think that revoking furniture rights and being certain about him being awake when you approach him sound like good ways to start to tackle this. Other people will be able to more experience based advice. Good luck.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Dogs pick up on their owners nerves and reactions so if you are nervous about how he's going to react in a situation he'll pick up on that and go into defence/attack mode. I know it's easier said than done but you need to take charge of the situation so he knows everything is alright and he can stand down.

Grace didn't like me sitting on the sofa with her at first and it took 6 months before I could sit at the tail end and it's only recently that she'll let me sit at the head end and make a fuss of her. I've had her for 3.5 years.

It might also be an idea to have him checked over by a vet just to check there isn't anything physical or mentally wrong with him.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

16 hours ago, Strauzzie said:

I don't know if there have been too many big adjustments over the last year (we just moved to a new state and my husband went back into the office for work) that have made him fearful, 

This is probably all the explanation you need.  He was doing fine.  Then suddenly, his entire life is completely changed - again - and he's reacting by becoming anxious in new situations and with new people.  This is a completely normal reaction.

It sounds like you're doing everything right.  Make sure the trainer is only using positive reinforcement techniques.  Up your treat value significantly for your deconditioning training with the dremel and people out on walks.  You want to make an impact in a short amount of repetitions so they need to be memorable.

If you want some further suggestions and insight get two booklets by trainer Patricia McConnel:  "Feisty Fido: Help for the Leash Reactive Dog" and "The Cautious Canine."  She understands dog behavior and offers step-by-step training techniques.

As a bonus for you - his owners - all of this change for him is coming about just as he would have been really settling into his new adopted life.  When he was beginning to get comfortable and his personality beginning to emerge, his entire world was upended.  You are, essentially, starting over from the beginning.  It's going to take some time and patience to work through his new-old issues.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

16 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

I can’t offer much advice except to say that my dog (as many are not) is not fond of being hovered over / leant over, especially when lying down. We have had him for three and half years and that hasn’t changed, so we have. We don’t do it. And if we do and he reacts we consider it to be our fault.

I also find it very hard to know what Buddy means/wants when he barks or growls sometimes. He is not a very vocal dog but he does growl when he’s excited and we don’t automatically think that it’s a display of aggression. Obviously I’m not there with you and can’t say for sure, but we look at his body language in conjunction with his vocalisation. I think that revoking furniture rights and being certain about him being awake when you approach him sound like good ways to start to tackle this. Other people will be able to more experience based advice. Good luck.

Thank you, @MerseyGrey! It does make me feel better that it isn't us necessarily doing something wrong, it may just be Chip's preference to be left alone when relaxing (which is about 98% of the time haha). We'll keep working on understanding his physical cues more, I've noticed I'm not that good yet at reading his body language (I get confused on if yawns are bad because he's trying to calm himself when stressed or good because he is calm...).

16 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Dogs pick up on their owners nerves and reactions so if you are nervous about how he's going to react in a situation he'll pick up on that and go into defence/attack mode. I know it's easier said than done but you need to take charge of the situation so he knows everything is alright and he can stand down.

Grace didn't like me sitting on the sofa with her at first and it took 6 months before I could sit at the tail end and it's only recently that she'll let me sit at the head end and make a fuss of her. I've had her for 3.5 years.

It might also be an idea to have him checked over by a vet just to check there isn't anything physical or mentally wrong with him.

Thank you, @HeyRunDog! We just established our new vet (who used to have a grey herself) and I asked about a thyroid test. We'll try to get it in the works and talk with the vet more. 

And I will add that I have anxiety myself and it gets heightened with men, because of prior experiences. I agree that some leadership effort on my part is needed. We have a few trainings we're doing with him now to build confidence together. I appreciate your insight.

6 hours ago, greysmom said:

This is probably all the explanation you need.  He was doing fine.  Then suddenly, his entire life is completely changed - again - and he's reacting by becoming anxious in new situations and with new people.  This is a completely normal reaction.

It sounds like you're doing everything right.  Make sure the trainer is only using positive reinforcement techniques.  Up your treat value significantly for your deconditioning training with the dremel and people out on walks.  You want to make an impact in a short amount of repetitions so they need to be memorable.

If you want some further suggestions and insight get two booklets by trainer Patricia McConnel:  "Feisty Fido: Help for the Leash Reactive Dog" and "The Cautious Canine."  She understands dog behavior and offers step-by-step training techniques.

As a bonus for you - his owners - all of this change for him is coming about just as he would have been really settling into his new adopted life.  When he was beginning to get comfortable and his personality beginning to emerge, his entire world was upended.  You are, essentially, starting over from the beginning.  It's going to take some time and patience to work through his new-old issues.

Good luck!

I LOVE Patricia McConnel - I have her book for the separation anxiety and just got The Cautious Canine. It is affirming to see you recommend these! Our trainer is all about positive reinforcement, Chip gets so many good treats in training time. I think it is helping, but our trainer hasn't worked with us too much on the stranger danger vibes yet. Focused on separation anxiety at the moment.

I just mentioned your comment to my husband about "starting over" and he gave an exasperated "yeahhh." We knew that the move could affect him, and now we just need to work through it.  Patience and persistence should be my mantra. :)