Dementia

Recently, my 9.5 year old greyhound was diagnosed with dementia. 

Our vet didn't have much advice for us. Things were better during the warmer months but now we're in winter and she's not doing so well. 

Some nights she wakes us up. She's shaking uncontrollably, pacing, panicking and she doesn't find us comforting. 

Any advice on how we can help her during these episodes would be greatly appreciated.

The sad fact is that as our dogs live longer due to better care, many of them will experience CCD - Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. Our 14-y.o. Barney had this, and we were helped a lot by the book "Remember Me?" by Eileen Anderson http://bit.ly/RememberMeBook   Lots of greyt suggestions, from food, to medication, to household changes - all to accommodate their changing situation. It's heartbreaking, but you can do some things to make it easier on both of you. Best of luck.

GT-Sig-2-09.jpg

Visit My Website Visit My Etsy Store Visit My eBay Store Part of all proceeds benefit Greyhound adoption

Our Razzy who we just lost at age 13 also suffered from this - and we believe it was Sundowner's Syndrome. At the same time every day (around 4pm) she would start shaking and panting and pacing, it was heartbreaking. We initially thought the shaking was pain related so she did take some meds, and had arthritis too, but ultimately we couldn't see her go through that anymore and let her go :( It is heartbreaking for sure.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

There is a drug that can *sometimes* help alleviate the symptoms of CCD called Anipryl.  Other classes of anti anxiety meds may work if this one doesn't.  You also might find CBD oil to be helpful, if it's legal in your area (find a reputable manufacturer).

Here's a pretty good summary to give you some other ideas:

How To Treat Dementia and Senility in Dogs

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly