Leather Basket Muzzles

Hey there GreyTalk! Long time lurker, first time poster. I've learned so much about how to care for my pretty lil baby hound here, I am and will always be forever grateful. 

I'm looking for something really specific. I would like to get my girl a leather basket muzzle. Specifically one where the basket it also made of leather. She hates the plastic one we got when she came home with us, however I think it bothers her. To be fair I think anything on her face bothers her. She had the same reaction to a gentle leader. We are at the point where she will eat ANYTHING she perceives as a snack on the street, and I can't count how many chocolate brownies I've pulled out of her mouth. She has eaten a lot of risky things, and so far she has been fine. But I know that she is one risky street snack away from the vet or worse. 

I'll pay for custom, I just can't find someone that will do it. if you have a preferred vendor please let me know! I'm open to anywhere on this planet as long as they ship to the USA. Thanks in advance! 

Here's a photo of the baby in question:

5AKV0Ac.jpg

Sharon (jetcitywoman here on GT) has a shop with different styles of muzzles. Contact her via her store for more help.

https://www.hound-safe.com/collections/muzzles

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Just a comment and a suggestion…if that beautiful hound of yours was a racer, she had to put up with wearing a muzzle. Yes, they often try to scrape it off and generally play the misery card, but they are used to it.

Perhaps you could find a harness/saddle maker in your area that could construct one based off the design of the plastic one?

I would suspect that any leather muzzle that did it's job stopping her from eating would restrict her airflow and ability to drink water.  She might also see it as some sort of chew toy and not a tool!  ;)  

Just be aware that she *is* playing you.  I guarantee she is used to wearing her basket muzzle, and is testing her boundaries.  Greyhounds are excellent people trainers!!

At the link Ducky provided above, try one of the Irish Padded Basket Muzzles.  They are *significantly* lighter than a regular basket muzzle, and the nose piece is lined with leather.  Yet it provides the safety of a basket muzzle.  One of mine hated her regular muzzle but wears the Irish with no problems.

If she just needs some encouragement to wear her muzzle with better grace, try praise-n-treating her whenever you put it on.  Whenever you see her start to rub or pay attention to something she shouldn't, call her name and distract her with a treat *you* provide - not one off the sidewalk.  You can also smear the inside with peanut butter and have her wear it in the house. 

If she's persistent in trying to eat things she shouldn't, put a "stool guard" in the front of the muzzle.  It's basically a plastic cup that fastens onto the front of the muzzle and blocks them from getting at illegal items.

If you're determined to try a leather muzzle, you might search out police dog sites, or search-and-rescue.  There are tons of greyhound collar makers who work in leather who might be able to work with you on a project.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

1 hour ago, greysmom said:

I would suspect that any leather muzzle that did it's job stopping her from eating would restrict her airflow and ability to drink water.  She might also see it as some sort of chew toy and not a tool!  ;)  

Just be aware that she *is* playing you.  I guarantee she is used to wearing her basket muzzle, and is testing her boundaries.  Greyhounds are excellent people trainers!!

At the link Ducky provided above, try one of the Irish Padded Basket Muzzles.  They are *significantly* lighter than a regular basket muzzle, and the nose piece is lined with leather.  Yet it provides the safety of a basket muzzle.  One of mine hated her regular muzzle but wears the Irish with no problems.

If she just needs some encouragement to wear her muzzle with better grace, try praise-n-treating her whenever you put it on.  Whenever you see her start to rub or pay attention to something she shouldn't, call her name and distract her with a treat *you* provide - not one off the sidewalk.  You can also smear the inside with peanut butter and have her wear it in the house. 

If she's persistent in trying to eat things she shouldn't, put a "stool guard" in the front of the muzzle.  It's basically a plastic cup that fastens onto the front of the muzzle and blocks them from getting at illegal items.

If you're determined to try a leather muzzle, you might search out police dog sites, or search-and-rescue.  There are tons of greyhound collar makers who work in leather who might be able to work with you on a project.

Thanks for this comment. She is totally playing us, 100%. She is my partner's and my first dog! To us she is the smallest most precious little baby on the earth. 70lbs, schmeventy lbs. Just a tiny little baby to us. The praise and treat is a great method, and the site with the Irish muzzle had a great video explaining. I'm linking it below for future searchers:

https://youtu.be/_9wK-QE5v9w