Kidney problems in 2-year-old?

Alibear

Hi, I haven't been on here for a while, but I've just had some routine bloods back from the vet and I'm freaking out a little! I've attached a screenshot below, but basically a few are reading a little high, in particular, the IDEXX SDMA which is at 20 - as the healthy limit is up to 14 I'm freaking out a little! I believe the Urea is the same as the BUN, which I know can read a little higher in greyhounds, but phosphorous is reading high, too... Has anyone else had similar readings? I'd be so surprised if he has kidney disease so young, but I guess you never know!

The vet asked for a urine sample, which I dropped off this morning, but I'm not sure how hound-savvy they are there, so I thought I'd come here for some anecdotal comments!

Thanks so much in advance.

Edited to add that he has absolutely no symptoms of any illness - no peeing inside, excessive thirst, lethargy, etc... He's still his same, goofy self who loses his mind every time I pick up his lead!

Screenshot 2021-12-16 at 12.46.48.png

Edited by Alibear
Added info

Seems to me I have something in the back of my memory where other folks have had issues with the IDEXX SDMA readings being abnormally high when they really weren't.  Maybe.  Something.  :dunno 

See what the urine sample looks like, but I might ask for an ultrasound anyway, just to check on things.  It's the easiest, fastest way to image organs without sedation.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

6 hours ago, greysmom said:

Seems to me I have something in the back of my memory where other folks have had issues with the IDEXX SDMA readings being abnormally high when they really weren't.  Maybe.  Something.  :dunno 

See what the urine sample looks like, but I might ask for an ultrasound anyway, just to check on things.  It's the easiest, fastest way to image organs without sedation.

I think it can read a little higher in greys, but 6pts over seems a little much. I'll see what the vet says about the urine sample. He's absolutely fine in himself so I'm trying not to worry too much!

I've seen a few say that ultrasounds have been ok after high readings, so am crossing my fingers.

• 1 year later...

On the latest IDEXX tests for my greyhound girl, Molly, IDEXX included notes that stated that "Greyhounds require different reference intervals for many common parameters.  Please visit go.idexx.com/greyhoundRI for breed - specific reference materials."  I knew that some of greyhound values were different but never have seen the list in one place.  Not sure of differences between US testing and UK testing, but the reference value for IDEXX SDMA was 0 - 20 ug/dL ~