Brand new greyhound owner here....

I'm about 1 month into being owned by Apollo.  He's a straight off the track retiree that ended up in my home without being fostered first.  No complaints, I'm in love with him.  

About me:  I was owned by 2 Pharaoh Hounds and fostered a 3rd.  Grew up with working dogs, but fell in love with the cleverness, intelligence and personalities of sighthounds, as well as their independence.  I'm positive + training only, and realize that I'm going to learn as much from my new family member, as he is with me.

About Apollo (formerly Chykln Chuck):  2-2.5yrs old.  Is learning how to dog.  Was not familiar with anything in non-racing life.  He was calm but shy and a bit fearful of everything... noises, new people, dogs, cars, basically everything that's not part of track life.

Now the questions:  How do you enforce boundaries?  Apollo wants to come into my tiny kitchen, especially while I'm there.  I don't blame him, it smells like food, it's cozy and it's really warm...plus I'm there.  I've been consistent in body blocking, and removing him from the kitchen.  But for a big boy, he's very persistent (he's a hound!) in wanting to be under my feet.  To be clear, this is the only area of the condo, which is off limits.  Do I need to gate it off?

I never had to deal with this issue with my other doggos since they learned boundaries as they grew up.

apollo2resized.jpg

apollo1resized.jpg

Our dogs do not come in the kitchen when we are eating.  We have taught them all the word "OUT", and when we say it, they leave.  After a while they don't even bother to try.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

12 minutes ago, Houndtime said:

Our dogs do not come in the kitchen when we are eating.  We have taught them all the word "OUT", and when we say it, they leave.  After a while they don't even bother to try.

Understand that, how did you teach them to respect the boundary?  Out is the word I use as well.  

If you've had Pharaohs you know how stubborn and persistent sighthounds can be.  They are also excellent people trainers because they are SO persistent that people usually give up before they do!!!  ;)  

This is really (really, really) common behavior.  Right now, you're his rock of stability in a world he doesn't recognize anymore, so he wants to be where you are constantly to be reassured everything's fine.  If you just keep on removing him from the kitchen, he will, eventually, get the idea.  The behavior will probably also diminish the more comfortable he gets in your home and with retired life,  If you want the less-work way, use a baby gate to keep him out.  Adding a nice chew treat or Kong to keep him busy when you're in the kitchen will keep him occupied.

Me?  I'd probably put a bed in the kitchen to at least keep him out from under the cutting board.  Some place he could see me but not be right underfoot.  The same could be accomplished if there's a place he can see you from another room.  Make that his "kitchen bed" and have a command to train him go there when you're in the kitchen working.

He's adorable!!!  :beatheart   And Welcome!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

11 minutes ago, greysmom said:

If you've had Pharaohs you know how stubborn and persistent sighthounds can be.  They are also excellent people trainers because they are SO persistent that people usually give up before they do!!!  ;)  

This is really (really, really) common behavior.  Right now, you're his rock of stability in a world he doesn't recognize anymore, so he wants to be where you are constantly to be reassured everything's fine.  If you just keep on removing him from the kitchen, he will, eventually, get the idea.  The behavior will probably also diminish the more comfortable he gets in your home and with retired life,  If you want the less-work way, use a baby gate to keep him out.  Adding a nice chew treat or Kong to keep him busy when you're in the kitchen will keep him occupied.

Me?  I'd probably put a bed in the kitchen to at least keep him out from under the cutting board.  Some place he could see me but not be right underfoot.  The same could be accomplished if there's a place he can see you from another room.  Make that his "kitchen bed" and have a command to train him go there when you're in the kitchen working.

He's adorable!!!  :beatheart   And Welcome!

Thanks!

He's still getting used to the idea of treats as well.  But what I have noticed is that he adores cheese and is very soft mouthed.  I'll try putting a bed just outside of the kitchen (that's him taking over the kitchen floor in the second pic btw.)  And I may invest in a baby gate as well.

3 hours ago, Apollo_the_Grey said:

Understand that, how did you teach them to respect the boundary?  Out is the word I use as well.  

It was easier in New Jersey, as the kitchen had an actual doorway.  Here it is an open floor plan, so they just go from the tile to the carpet.  How do they know?  I don't know; they just do it.  Greyhounds are very smart!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

A baby gate with a bed nearby so he can still see you in the kitchen would be my suggestion until he gets used to the idea that the kitchen is out of bounds.

Don't feed him titbits while you are preparing or eating your food and if you feed him leftovers put them in his bowl and give him them at his meal time so he doesn't associate the kitchen with anything to do with him.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Apollo is beautiful!  Love the bi-color hounds.  

Echoing above posts.  I am not a great trainer, so I find it easier to train a command that I want the dog to do as an alternative, rather than trying to train the abstract concept of not doing something.  Training him to go to the bed just outside the kitchen is an example of that.  And you'll find the babygate helpful at other times, or even when you travel with him.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I echo kitchen bed, it's the best thing to keep him in one place and not everywhere! My hound might as well be on elastic with me or my aunt. :rolleyes: Until after dinner and dark when he couldn't care less if we were at home or on the moon. :lol