How to use cone with martingale collar

Katie will most likely need to have an indolent corneal ulcer fixed and need to wear a cone to not mess with the contact they'll put on for healing. She's had lots of medical procedures and the cone has never been successful for her - it slips so far she can't drink or eat. Any suggestions?

What works for us is to tear pieces of rolled gauze down the middle to make long, thin strips. Run the strips between the collar and the back of the cone and tie in a bow knot. I do loose double knots in case the cone needs to come off in a hurry but that hasn't been necessary (so far!). I would caution against leaving on a martingale collar so as to prevent choking the dog because the collar D-ring or ID tags got caught on something. Mine all wear non-martingale tag collars, with the martingale just for walks. More than you asked for but that's how we roll here!

Good luck with Katie's surgery :goodluck Please let us know how she is.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My whippet puppy was just neutered, his testicles did not descend so it was invasive.  I bought a "comfurt collar" to keep him away from the incision.  He could eat, drink, sleep with it on, it was much more comfortable than the cone he came home with: https://comfurtcollar.com, they were very helpful in picking out the correct size for my whippet.  They have a Facebook page and you can order through Amazon.  Good luck.

What works best is to have her wear a comfortably fitting harness, one she can wear 24/7, then attached the cone to the harness with gauze strips or other ties.  Leave the collar off completely.  You may still need to take the collar off for meals, so you'll need to supervise her closely during those times.

I think a comfort collar would still allow her to access her face, which is what you don't want.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Annie had horrid corneal ulcerations( cat fight) with MRSR infection. She needed to have the scar tissue debrised. We never used a cone. No eye rubbing what so ever. She was on 4 different meds for a couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure the ophthalmologist used a numbing agent in the compounded med. It was 7+ weeks of high maintenance 4xs daily. 

Edited by cleptogrey