Help Please!! 3 weeks post adoption not sure if I've done the right thing???

Hi. Ok well I'm new to this forum, but have read many posts and am hopeful that all of you experienced greyhound owners can help us!  We have adopted a 4.5 year old retired racer (myself and my two daughters and boyfriend).  Slick has been with us for 3 weeks now: started off all great and we have dog beds and stuffed animals all over.  He's not allowed on any furniture and we are still walking him with a muzzle and feeding him in his crate, as per instructions of the adoption team we got him from, even though they felt he would settle in easily that's just what they recommend.  He is pretty good on walks, just alerts and kind of goes nuts over squirrels, and small animals. So we just keep him on the other side of the street and away from dogs (he snaps when they sniff him, we were warned about this). So that was all manageable but sort of stressful but we could deal with it.  Then he started getting a little more comfortable and when sitting on our front porch with us he started growling if his bum landed on my foot or his tail touched my leg or whatever, so I just started moving my feet.  I've been scared of large dogs my whole life but this guy was so gentle and nice that it hasn't been an issue for any of us.  Then last weekend my daughters boyfriend was running around the yard with him and Slick jumped up and caught his face with his mouth (I won't say BIT because I know if he'd wanted to BITE he could have, but he DID break the skin, so that's terrifying).  Yesterday he growled and snapped at my 12 year old daughter when she reached to pet him.  Slick immediately knew he'd done something wrong and got up and went to his crate (we both screamed, it was pretty scary).  The problem is  that we don't trust him, and I'm sure he senses this. He's laying looking at me and I don't know what it means! I'm honestly in my head considering taking him back, even though we have been committed to having this dog and I don't want to, but....  And I know it's US and not him, but I'm not a dog expert and am not sure I'm prepared to live in a house with a large animal that we have to tiptoe around for fear of growling or snapping - and I worry obviously that this can easily escalate to one of us actually getting bit. I emailed the adoption lady and she said it was cause for concern as he'd never shown any negative behaviour towards humans before.  Help.....?  Thank you in advance!!!

All of what you're describing is very, very common behavior for a newly adopted retired racing greyhound.  We can give you all sorts of advice, lots of training books to read, and strategies and behavior modification routines to try.  But the bottom line is if you don't trust the dog you're not going to be comfortable going forward with him.  My best advice to you is to return him.

If you would like to add another medium-to-large breed dog to your household I would say get a golden or labrador from a creditable breeder who breeds for good temperament.  They are much more easy going and forgiving, though be aware, any dog from any breed can show the behaviors you're describing with your greyhound.

If you would like to keep trying with Slick, and move beyond your fear of large dogs, I would suggest getting hands-on advice from a certified animal behaviorist who's familiar with retired racing greyhounds.  This person should be able to observe you and your family and your dog interacting and help you work through these issues using positive reinforcement techniques.  Your vet may be able to recommend someone, or your adoption group.

To address some of the behaviors you wrote about:

>  The jumping and snapping during play is just the way greyhounds are with one another.  It's the main reason they wear muzzles when turned out together - they play rough and they like it!

>  Many newly adopted greyhounds take days to weeks to months to settle completely into this new place that is living in a "normal" home environment.  They've been removed from the environment they've known their whole life and plopped down in a completely new place, with strangers, lots of weird things like windows and stairs to learn about, new food, new routines, new e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g!!  It's overwhelming and scary and sometimes they get grumpy about being touched or approached unexpectedly - something that NEVER happens in the kennel.  They always know who's coming to the door of their crate.  They are not ever approached by surprise.  They are never touched when they are unaware of who is touching them and why.  

Whenever you - or more specifically, your child - wants to pet or give attention to the dog, make sure he's awake and aware before getting really close.  A better strategy is to call his name, wake him up, and call him over to you, so he's on his feet and away from his bed.

If you want to sit out on the porch with him, make sure he has a safe place to lay out of the path of travel and away from feet or anything that might accidentally touch him.  Give him a dedicated space that he's directed to whenever you're out there - and maybe surround him with a short x-pen for everyone's safety.

No rough playing without your dog being muzzled.

Good luck to you and your family and Slick!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

@greysmom thank you for all your suggestions and advice... I'm still unsure what to do and how to interpret his looks and behaviour.  He keeps his tail tucked tight in when my daughter is around now, has spent a lot of time in his crate today (his choice, I just leave the door open when we're home), but otherwise seems ok.  I will heed your advice about his space and play rules, and give him a chance here and try to be the confident 'leader' that I have read so much about them needing.  Fingers crossed, will update if anything changes. Thanks again.

Greyhounds do play very roughly ...leaping and snapping at each other.  This is why muzzles are recommended at play dates and turnout time.   It does take time for them to understand that we humans do not appreciate the same rough treatment.

As Chris mentioned, living in a kennel environment with a very strict routine can also cause havoc when they are introduced into a home.   These dogs thrive on routine....feeding, pottying and playtime... same time every day.

They also sleep with their eyes open  - yes, it is very creepy looking - and you must not assume that your hound is awake and ready for some human contact if his eyes are open.  

Understandably your daughter is nervous.  She needs to remain calm and quiet around him and most importantly make sure he is awake and not on his bed when she approaches him.  Most Greyhounds are not used to boisterous children, especially ones who crowd their personal bed.   

Perhaps your daughter can start feeding Slick little treats. Maybe start by having her gently toss a couple to him and work up to him taking them from her hand.

I have had 3 of my Greyhounds ace the very difficult St John Ambulance Therapy Dog Childrens test and we visit an autistic kindergarten classroom so yes... it is possible for them to live with rowdy children.  

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

If you want a good all purpose training book, and ine to get you more comfortable interpreting his behavior, try "The Other End Of The Leash" by Patricia McConnell.   She also has a great book about Leash Reactive dogs and dogs that are more anxious - just about anything she's written will help you.

The one thing - well, two things - you want to try and not do:

1 - Don't take his behaviors personally.  He's trying to figure this all out, the same as you all are, and he only has a very small toolbox of natural instincts and reactions to help him.  The more you reward the behavior you want, and ignore the behavior you don't, the faster he will learn.

2 - Don't punish him for reacting in the only way he knows how.  A growl - or a bark, or running away, or even an air snap - don't have any hidden meaning behind them.  He's most definitely NOT (at this point) reacting aggressively.  So listen when he growls, and try to figure out what he's trying to tell you.  Punishing him for trying to communicate will only cause him to escalate to a more direct approach, which may cause harm to whoever didn't listen to him.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Try and relax and stay calm and enjoy his company. Dogs take their cues from you and your family. He has just landed in a totally alien world and will take time to adjust and get used to it and to you.

Meanwhile make it a rule never to touch him when he's laying down. When your children are playing, if Slick joins in make sure they bring the play down a couple of notches and don't wind him up.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time