toe amputation

i'm asking for a friend who is researching the amputation of a middle front toe. has anyone out there had that toe amputated on their GH? if so, how did if affect their  running ability? her dog's corn was "removed" by a vet who just shaved the pad down. didn't remove the corn- just the surface. now a hard callous has formed which hamper's her movement. all of this due to not being able to get into her long term vet- covid complications. 

thanks in advance

andrea asking for mavis

Greyhounds do fine with all normal activities following a toe amp.  Everyone makes a big deal about weight bearing toes, but I've never found it to make a difference.  Maybe because greyhound toes all impact the ground anyway??  :dunno  But if the pad is so compromised it's making daily activities difficult, or is an ongoing medical issue, I would amp it.

Just tell her to be aware that corns may then pop up on the adjacent toes due to altering the gait of the dog even more.  Have her join the "Greyhounds with Corns" Facebook page so she can find out how to take care of her dogs corn herself at home - it's safer, easier on everyone, and cheaper!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Aiden's middle front toe was amped a few years ago, and before that he lost the lateral toe on the other front foot. He's done fine in that dept.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My first hound, Eve, came to me with a middle toe already amputated on her left front paw.  I never knew the reason.  She was already 6 when I got her but it didn't seem to slow her down.  Her favorite activity was jumping on boulders -  I had to get an extra-long leash for us to hike up rocky paths.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter