Howling while alone...when to try medication?

Hi Greyt Folks, 

We have a 3 y/o retired racer and she's been with us now almost 6 months. She's adjusted well to life in the city and apartment living and overall has been a dream and we can't imagine life without her. 

But we're struggling with getting her comfortable being alone. We've been working on alone training for several months and have worked our way up to leaving her for approx. 1 hour 15 minutes. She's not destructive or urinating, but she's started howling over the last month or so (and exhibiting signs of general distress) whenever we're gone. We always do a few warm-up exercises before leaving her, and always drop a stuffed Kong on her bed before we take leave which she goes after immediately. However, once she finishes the Kong (10-15 minutes) she's up trotting around the apartment looking for us/ standing at the door/ whining and then the howling sets in. 

Our trainer has recommended we explore medication as a means to help with her anxiety and I've just started reaching out to behaviorist vets in our area. I've sifted through threads here on separation anxiety but other than the howling (which is intermittent but persistent/loud) our hound does not show signs of severe SA. In fact, I would say she's quite independent--preferring to sleep in the living room (vs. with us in the bedroom) and appears overall unbothered by one of us coming and going and/or being in other areas of the apartment for hours at a time. 

I'm curious to learn about experiences with medication and SA. Has anyone had success with meds? I'm also wondering, is this behavior something that improves with time as she gets more and more used to being alone? Or could it potentially escalate if not treated?

Also, I'm afraid a second hound isn't an option for us right now. Our apartment lease only allows one dog. 

Pam's idea is a good one.

Also good the essential oils developed by a veterinarian, Melissa Shelton DVM. No other brand is truly all-animal safe. I met her at a seminar. She treats animals around the world, including at zoos, and has given presentations at the NCSU vet school.

https://animaleo.info/

Her blends "Calm-a-Mile" and "Transition" can help with separation anxiety and thunderstorms. If you're new to essential oils, definitely use Dr Shelton's blends rather than a straight single oil because she balances the blends for the best use and tolerance.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

You could also try leaving the radio on tuned into a classical music or talk radio station to kill the silence.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

12 hours ago, chdues said:

Thank you! I just ordered an Adaptil Collar + diffuser, along with Dr. Shelton's "Calm-a-Mile" and look forward to trying them out. 

I keep on hand both the diffusable version and the Ready To Use version. The RTU is handy when traveling, both in the car and in a motel room.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png