How do you know if getting a second greyhound would suit your dog?

Hi Guys, 

I'm just looking for some advice on the right time to adopt a second dog and how to know if this is maybe the right thing for my dog.

My partner and I adopted Murphy 2 years ago. He had separation anxiety and took a while to toilet train, but other wise has settled in well. My parents have a collie and my sister has a German shepherd/ Labrador cross. We also live in an area with lots of small dogs and thankfully Murphy is fantastic with other dogs. He doesn't seem to have much of a prey drive and was really good with my guinea pigs when we had them.

We've noticed however that Murphy reacts really different to other greyhounds compared to different dog breeds. He will sniff small dogs but shows no interest in playing with them and will quickly move on. With bigger dogs, like my sisters dog, he will play a bit but again quickly looses interest. When it comes to other greyhounds he gets to excited, he'll pull the lead to say hi and he is not a puller! He loves seeing other greyhounds and will run and play with them in a way different to other dogs. 

Because of his interest in other greyhounds, we have started talking about adopting a second dog. I am also concerned that his separation anxiety could return after the pandemic. Before all this started we both went off to work and Murphy was at home for most of the day and had settled into his routine well. Since last March, my partner has worked from home full time. Due to lockdown's Murphy hasn't been left on his own much in the last year. Max of probably 4-5 hours when we went out to dinner or drinks when things have been open. He has been completely fine when he has been left on his own, but going forward I would prefer he had company, but I'm not sure how to know if this is right for him/us or not. I have a few concerns I have listed below if anyone has any advice.

1. Finding the right dog for murphy and leaving them together. How does the introduction process work? How long before you can leave them alone and unmuzzled? We plan to go through the same rescue we got Murphy but just wanted some thoughts.

2. How long before you know if its working out? Like if they're ok and both settled after say 6 months is that settled?

3. Practically, is there much difference say about the house with 2 compared to one? Obviously we'd need say 2 food and water bowls, lots of beds and would expect to loose more sofa room.

4. Also any cars that are good for transporting 2? I have a honda civic, but Murphy takes up most of the boot so I don't think 2 dogs would comfortably fit, especially for long journeys. Could two dogs travel on the back passenger seats with seat belts or would that not be safe?

Thanks for any advice

Like most people, you want to do the right thing for both Murphy and yourselves, and that's wonderful, but don't overthink things too much!  ;)  Greyhounds are used to living communally with lots of other greyhounds, so there is usually no issues with bringing in another to their living situation.  As far as settling in together, that totally depends on the individual you add, so it's difficult to determine beforehand.  It's a learning curve every time.

As far as Murphy's SA goes, another greyhound may or may not help, and you won't know until you get one.  The best thing to do is be very honest with your adoption group and discuss everything you want and need from a second dog so they can find/match you with the right personality for your situation.  Male or female shouldn't make any difference, but an older dog or a bounce may be good for your more anxious boy.

Two dogs is just like one dog with another dog added!!!  Some things are easier, some things require more management.  If you can afford a second dog - food, vet care, etc - and have enough room and time for a second dog, then we will usually enable you right into getting another!!!!  ;)

The car thing is something only you can decide.  IMO, a sedan or small hatchback *may* not be big enough for two larger dogs, but people do it successfully all over.

The other issue to consider is that greyhounds are now *extremely* difficult to find and adopt.  If you want another one at any time in the future you may want to contact your group and see what their situation for getting dogs into their program is, and get on their waiting list, as it can take months and months to find an appropriate addition depending on what you need/want.  Your geographic location will be key.

Good luck!

ETA - Just seeing that you're in Ireland, so disregard the info on adopting.  As far as I know, there are plenty of retired racers around your country!  ;) 

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Chris has given you some very good things to think about and I am certainly not going to discourage you from adopting another Grey -_-.  We

I’m not sure what types of vehicles are available in Ireland. 
We have transported 3 just fine in the back hatch area of a Mazda 3 and a Nissan Versa ...with the back seats folded down, of course.  
If you have a sedan, a ‘hammock’ for the back seat area is a good option, even if you only have 1 dog.  I have had 3 in the back seat of a mid sized sedan for short trips. 
FYI ... I always muzzle the dogs when they’re in close quarters like that

p.s. Our Sid is a retired Irish boy. :)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I always say that two greyhounds instead of one are definitely 2x the expense, 0x more trouble, and 4x the fun.  :)  And that's even if they aren't particularly bonded to each other.  

Selection -- take Max with you to meet a few candidates, if you can.  There probably won't be much difference in behavior, but there might be some clues that will give you some info.  Taking them on a short walk together may be helpful.  

How long I keep them muzzled when I'm gone varies with what I see when I'm home.  Generally at least 2 weeks.  A few times there has been a fight after a "honeymoon" period of a month or so but almost all the time things are settled with a little growling or barking.  As noted above, the close quarters of the car is usually the main trouble spot, even after years of being together.  

Mine do fine in a small sedan with the rear footwells filled in to the level of the seat with pieces of an old foam mattress and everything covered with a rug.  Amazing how much more room that creates.    

Keep us posted!  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Good advice above.  I transported two greyhounds (one of which was always over 90#) thousands of miles in the back seat of a Mazda Protage.  If space seems to be a problem do as suggested and  fill in the rear footwells with pillows and throw a comforter over the whole thing.  When I was pulling dogs off the farms I'd often have two big boys in the back and a petite girl curled in the passenger seat.  Never had issues.

To me two dogs have always been easier than one as they keep each other occupied.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice guys. We've contacted our local greyhound charity and will start looking. Still a few bits to sort out but lots to think about from above!

And @greysmomunfortunately greyhounds are quite readily available here as the racing industry is still rampant here.