Greyhound Pleural Effusion

CPace

Hi all, 

Just thought I'd post here and see if anyone has gone through a similar situation. ... My grey, Shark, is 11. Back in July of this year, he started breathing really heavy, panting, and wasn't able to sleep through the night. We took him to the vet, and long story short, found out he has cancerous tumors in his lung/chest area. We had a small sample analyzed and it's cancer. The vets think it could be mesothelioma, but we didn't undergo the more extensive (and pricey) procedure to have a larger sample tested to see what kind of cancer it is. 

We started him on chemo; 1 does every 3 weeks. In a short amount of time, he went from almost 80lbs to now 69lbs. Though he's still eating dinner and breakfast, and likes walks! The main problem is with the significant pleural effusion (liquid filling his chest). He's been tapped about every 2 weeks for the last 6 weeks now. Just going to the drs office is very stressful on him :(  For now, we're just keeping him as comfy as possible and I'm bracing for the short future. 

If anyone has gone through anything similar, I'd love to hear. When did you know it was too much on your grey and it was time? I guess that's where I'm at .... Thanks, CP

shark (1).jpg

Edited by CPace

Spoil that handsome boy rotten.  That's the only medical advice I have since we've never dealt with this or similar.  Hope someone here can give you some insight.   

There is also the option of a consult with Dr. Cuoto if you think you need another medical opinion. https://www.coutovetconsultants.com/

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Choosing your way through end-of-life decisions is just about the hardest thing we do as dog owners.  There are numerous articles out there with various criteria, but in almost every case it comes down to knowing your dog, how they enjoy life, and when they aren't any more.

I always try to imagine if I had exactly what my dog has, feel the way they do, with the same issues dealing with life day to day - what and when would I want a compassionate end to be?  As many of us here advocate - better a day too soon than a day too late.  The worst regret is the regret that comes when you know you waited too long to release them.

You might see if your vet will come to your house for the taps - or find a home vet that they can suggest for it - to reduce stress on your dog from this event.  Keep a close monitor of his breathing and heart condition - often the effusion will sink down into their legs.  Coughing and cogching up blood are also signs to watch for.

It's never, never, easy.  Good luck moving forward.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My girl Chick had the same thing, and she was about the same age.  We continued as you are doing - the taps to drain the fluid and watched her carefully for her comfort level.  Each dog is different as they go these things.  Chick was with me for a few months and then I made the decision to let her go because it became obvious she was uncomfortable even after the drainings.  I knew she wasn't enjoying life - she really didn't want to do anything.  It's a really hard thing and my heart goes out to you.  As GreysMom said, you will know when it's time.  My thoughts are with you.