Is my Grey bored, moody, or just a resting B face?

Obvious disclaimer:  working from home has likely resulted in changed behaviour/I notice things more.

I've had a Grey for about 9 months now.  She just turned nine and is very, very well-behaved.  Only has messed in the house a few times, and seemingly always as a result of a disagreeable treat or something similar.  She has not gotten into anything she shouldn't, and she has not destroyed anything at all.  I work from home much of the day, but even when I am home after work or on the weekend, my Grey just sits and stares either at me or off into space the majority of the time.  She has no interest whatsoever in chew toys, but I can't just give her feeder toys all day and she's only good for about an hour of walking a day.  She refuses to get on the couch for company, and she sighs a lot like a creature expecting me to be entertaining or do something all the time.

Now, when I take her to my parents house (1-3 times a week), which is a bit bigger and has more windows, she is all smiles ear to ear almost non-stop except when she wears herself out with happiness and crashes in the basement.  All good there.

Near as I can tell, this type of behaviour in my house is pretty normal, but I just wanted to get some thoughts on whether or not she is bored or doesn't like my house.  I know that's a pretty amorphous inquiry, but does anyone have insight on this?  I've spent a ludicrous amount of money on thing to keep her occupied, but she seems to have only walking and treat drives.  I simply want to make sure she is having a good quality of life, and being bored is not a part of that.

Thanks much,

Gopherhawk

Edited by Gopherhawk

She probably gets all excited at your parents because it is different from home. At nine, a typical greyhound will prefer a pretty quiet life, and it sounds like she has a quiet personality. Most of my girls have been that way, currently Val is asleep in the another room :lol

Since she doesn’t like toys, many don’t, she is probably just hanging out. As long as you are there, she is fine.

Completely normal.  Don't worry.

If you were working normally, she'd be doing exactly the same thing at hime all day, just by herself!  Remember, she's a senior dog technically, though at 9 they can still be quite active in bursts (likely when visiting your parents house!)  An hour walking sounds like it's plenty, especially if she doesn't want to go any farther.  And most greyhounds don't really "play" the way other breeds do.

If you can set up safe/social distance play dates or meet ups with other greyhound owners, she would probably appreciate it, as many greyhounds are breed snobs and don't recognize other breeds as creatures like themselves.  Some short visits to a dog day care might also be fun for her.  Investigate the possibilities and see what you come up with in your area.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I assume my dog stares at me because he loves me! He’s ten in November and is generally still and peaceful with bouts of play as described above. They all seem to have different personality quirks but the way I look at it is: he’s an old man. If I’m as lively as him when I’m knocking on 70 I shall be very happy. In the meantime, I am very happy I have got such a placid and undemanding dog (except when it comes to belly rubs 🙄). I hope my next greys are like him. Old dogs really are the best!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23