Bruising on chest following dental

Iggy

Just noticed purplish "bruise" non-tender on iggy's chest a day after dental. Vet did complete blood panel prior to dental. She is acting ok. I don't know if I should be off to ER or wait to hear from her vet in a.m. I did an online search for bruising following vet dental and the photo I saw was almost exact. I didn't specify Greyhound in my search yet this site came up. Dont know if this is common. I'm a wreck!

Most likely a blood draw was done on the upper underside of the neck. They may not have held pressure quite long enough. Any blood oozing from it would gravitate to the lowest point - the chest. Certainly call your vet and keep monitoring the bruise. It should not get any bigger but if it continues to spread a blood clotting test may need to be done. Unless your dog is a bleeder the bruise you see should gradually be absorbed/go away on it's own.  You could also outline the area with a Sharpie pen as an indicated of the bruise spreading.

Keep us posted!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

1 hour ago, macoduck said:

Most likely a blood draw was done on the upper underside of the neck. They may not have held pressure quite long enough. Any blood oozing from it would gravitate to the lowest point - the chest. Certainly call your vet and keep monitoring the bruise. It should not get any bigger but if it continues to spread a blood clotting test may need to be done. Unless your dog is a bleeder the bruise you see should gradually be absorbed/go away on it's own.  You could also outline the area with a Sharpie pen as an indicated of the bruise spreading.

Keep us posted!

This! Macoduck is spot on. Hope Iggy starts improving rapidly. Let us know how she's doing.

Edited by racindog

You can use some cold compresses to help the bruise stop spreading, and alternate with some warm ones to help it reabsorb.  Try not to worry unless there is *dramatic* growth in the next few hours.  This sort of thing is really common following blood draws.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks. Vet called first thing this morning. He apologized for not letting me know it was a possibility but purple area (not really a bruise) is from where they drew blood. She is asymptomatic. She and I are both fine. Thank you, you lot!