Harness suggestions?

We’ve had Greyhounds for a dozen years, and never had any successfully back out of their martingale collars. But it has happened to each of our dogs in the last couple of weeks when encountering off-leash dogs. Yikes! It’s so scary.

I am now shopping for “can’t-back-out-of” harnesses, and I would appreciate suggestions from the Greyhound community. 

Any guidance?

(Yesterday, an aggressive Beagle slipped his collar from his owner and charged towards Runner, Fargo and me with teeth bared. It all happened so fast!  As I screamed at the oncoming dog while trying to corral my high-prey-drive dogs who were both rising up to the challenging dog, Fargo backed out of his collar. All near a busy road. Fargo and the Beagle were immediately in a scrum. I was somehow able to grab Fargo by his house collar and the man pulled his dog away just in time. Both of us had one leashed dog and one off-leashed dog. All four dogs were hyped-up and it was so frightening. No blood, thankfully. We were all lucky this time.)

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

I have always used the Freedom No-Pull Harness from 2Hounds Design. If tightened properly I feel like they are more secure than just a martingale. They were originally designed for greyhounds, so they fit them well. https://www.2houndsdesign.com/product-category/shop-now/freedom-no-pull-harness/ 

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

We use http://www.harnesslead.com/ on the recommendation of someone here. Love it. I had tried some other harness, but always felt like I didn't have control or like the buckles might break, even though I knew they probably wouldn't. With the harnesslead, I feel totally secure. And where he used to lunge at something, now he'll just do a little dolphin jump in place, so he's not pulling me. (And with training, he's getting better at not reacting to other dogs to begin with.) If I need to get him to *come on already* when he's busy sniffing, I'll give him a tug at his house collar, rather than pull the harnesslead, which will tighten around him too much. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2019 at 1:16 PM, cgs said:

We use http://www.harnesslead.com/ on the recommendation of someone here. Love it. I had tried some other harness, but always felt like I didn't have control or like the buckles might break, even though I knew they probably wouldn't. With the harnesslead, I feel totally secure. And where he used to lunge at something, now he'll just do a little dolphin jump in place, so he's not pulling me. (And with training, he's getting better at not reacting to other dogs to begin with.) If I need to get him to *come on already* when he's busy sniffing, I'll give him a tug at his house collar, rather than pull the harnesslead, which will tighten around him too much. 

Light weight especially for hot weather. Even my then 92 year old mom who was dog sitting figured out how to put it on. But I will say I have more control in an aggressive situation with a martingale.

try a 3/4" Lupine martingale. The fancy wider collar may not be the right fit. Lupine collars comein 2 sizes and i perfer a 3 finger  distance under the chin when the collar is pulled tight. I have purchased collars that fit nicely over the head but did not tighten properly. Try a thinner collar you will be pleasantly surprised. 

Your comment about control is interesting because I felt like I had much more control of Fletcher with the harness. He was very leash aggressive with stranger dogs (fine with his “girls”) and I thought the harness worked better than the collar. I was also afraid he would hurt his neck when he went batsh*t crazy.