Possible Lymphoma.

Our oldest greyhound Chocko started coughing on April 1, 2019 and we noticed after a vet visit on the 5th that he had swollen nodules in his neck. Somehow, we missed the swollen nodules and the vet did too on that visit so we took him to his other vet a week later and got a fine needle aspiration from the nodules in his neck. He took a weeks worth of doxycycline and then the second vet switched him over to Clindamycin just incase it was due to a mouth infections. His check x-ray at the 2nd vet was clear.

We are waiting on the pathology results from Friday.

Yesterday, he was "mouth breathing" (had his mouth open just slightly all day when he was awake or sleeping).

Today, Chocko now has a swollen nodule in his back left leg behind the knee and the same leg has swelling between the food pad and "ankle". He also appears to have a larger belly and a new fat pouch just in front of his penis.

I am just heartbroken and can't keep it together. This is my husband's heart dog. He was our first greyhound and we have so many "first greyhound memories" with him. I just can't stop crying.

Chocko, Nilla, and Comet Queen.

:(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

So sorry to hear. :( Lymphoma is one of the cancers that often responds well to chemo so that may be an option. If nothing else even just pred can make a difference.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I'm so sorry. We went through this with Murphy and opted out of chemo for various reasons, feel free to message me if you want to talk or let me know if you have questions.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

We are going to start giving prednisone tommarow. I am not sure if it will give us more time but we have decided to not do chemo. Almost all of his lymph nodes are swollen now and he still has a terrible cough. I would prefer that he goes with dignity but it is up to my husband. "Grandma"(my mom) came by today and he was soo excited to see her. He loves my mom.

Chocko, Nilla, and Comet Queen.

Prednisone, in my experience, will give you more happy, comfortable days, but may or may not extend life. We did see a rapid and complete reduction in lymph node swelling right after starting prednisone, when they came back, that's when we knew to start preparing ourselves for the end. Murphy was starving on it, we went to four meals a day, kibble supplemented with cooked meat. I don't know how common this is, but his iron levels dropped a lot, we chose to fix it with cooked chicken livers, but if we'd been willing to take him back to to the vet for bloodwork, supplements would have been an option if you can't deal with the liver.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.