New Owner: Settling In, Bored Or Depressed?

Hi All:

You've been so helpful with insight into our new grey's freezing issues. We're at the three month mark now and while it's still an issue, I do believe we are finding solutions and it is gradually beginning to improve (fingers crossed).

I've noticed that over the past months, she's showing less and less interest in toys and she also seems less playful generally while in the house. It is of course February, and it's constantly grey and cold, so that may be playing a role. But I'm wondering if this is just normal settling in behavior or if it could suggest boredom or even depression? We have to keep her walks on the short end and nearby because of the freezing, but we take her to all day doggie day care two days a week (which she seems to love) and try to let her run once a week (though that's weather dependent).

Is she just getting more comfortable? Adjusting to being a single dog? Or could it be signaling that she is less than happy in her new environment? She is 6.5 years old, so not a puppy. But she had a reputation for being playful with her foster, and that just seems to be less and less the case.

Thanks so much for fielding all our questions as newbies - there' so much to learn!

Sounds totally normal.

Dogs go through stages and seasonal swings just like people. Right now all we're doing in our house is hibernating - sleeping and eating! Plus it sounds like she's getting a good dose of exercise, so the off days she'll be tired and sleep more and be less interested in playing.

If she's eating well, staying hydrated, and eliminating normally it's nothing to worry about. Good job!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

An all day doggie care may be too much - greyhounds like to sleep. Can you get a video of her in the day care - it could be that she is stressed from a situation where she has to be on alert all the time. I mention this because freezing is typical in dogs that are too stimulated by all the new activity and coincidentally, that would be what happens in play care.

Thanks for posting the question. I was going to ask the same thing. It shows that my hound is normal (if normal exists as far as greyhounds are concerned).

Grace is doing the same, although she is healthy and eats normally, she has no interest in her toys, will only go for one walk a day and that's her early morning walk. I have to persuade her with bits of chicken to move for a quick walk late afternoon which is mainly to go to the loo and she hasn't done any zoomies for some time.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Thank you all for your input. Yesterday was the first warmer, sunny day in some time, and I do believe our grey perked up a bit. So the seasonal thing seems to be a factor. One nice thing is that though she's less playful lately, she's very snuggly and affectionate during the cold weather!