Lower Back Pain

Jack, who just turned seven and who I have had since he was 12 weeks old has been struggling with pain in his hind end. I noticed he was limping on back leg on and off and was having some trouble getting up and down. I brought him to the vet, he was prescribed Carprofen 100mg q day with food. During this time he was being treated for a recurring corneal ulcer, he only has one eye due to an issue before I got him. the pain in his hind end got worse with night crying and collapsing when he got up, refusing to use back leg. X Rays were done and read by a radiologist who diagnosed mild spondylosis deformans at L5-L6 and L7-S1. The alignment of the L7-S1 was unremarkable, unremarkable pelvis and hips and unremarkable right stifle. Bloodwork and urinalysis was normal. Due to increased pain vet prescribed Gabapentin 100 mg twice a day, continue Carprofen 100mg q day and Methocarbamol 500mg three times a day. He remains on drops for his eye ulcer which seems to be resolving. He has been on his new med regime for 10 days, however he is still experiencing a lot of pain when he gets up, sometimes goes to the ground and frequently holds up his right hind leg. This seems to get better quickly and he is able to move around, but gingerly. Any thoughts on medication regime, should I talk to vet about increasing Gabapentin? Of course I am worried about OS at this point. Could this be the beginning of LS? Any and all thoughts are appreciated. I am worried about him. Thank you.

I know you said x-rays were done of the spine, was his leg x-rayed as well? If it was and looked ok, I would talk to the vet about increasing the gabapentin, the frequency at least. Also, if you have access to acupuncture, try that. My first grey had spondylosis, and was collapsing, could barely stand, and the acupuncture eventually got her back to about 90% of her original mobility.

Vet visit today, unfortunately no real improvement with hip/back pain or with corneal ulcer. Increased Gabapentin and on a new eye medication. Exploring acupuncture and laser therapy for hip/back anyone have experience with laser therapy? Am also going contacting Dr. Couto for a consult. What is the best way to contact him and get him the info he needs? Thanks for your help with this.

Vet visit today, unfortunately no real improvement with hip/back pain or with corneal ulcer. Increased Gabapentin and on a new eye medication. Exploring acupuncture and laser therapy for hip/back anyone have experience with laser therapy? Am also going contacting Dr. Couto for a consult. What is the best way to contact him and get him the info he needs? Thanks for your help with this.

Greyhound Health Initiative:

For consultations with Dr. Couto (coutovetconsultants@gmail.com)

• 4 weeks later...

Update on Jack. Dr. Couto reviewed x rays, reports no sign of bone cancer. He suggested iliopsoas injury which is my vets working diagnosis. Unfortunately despite a variety of treatments Jack continues to be in pain, especially when he gets up. Bloodwork done showed an increase in liver values, vet took him off carprofen and we will start meloxicam after one week. Jack is on Gabapentin 300mg TID and Methocarbamol 500mg TID with little relief. This is a very frustrating injury and I am worried about my boy who loves to run and play, he is restricted to leash walks and may be getting a bit depressed. Appreciate any additional thoughts and advice from anyone who has been through something like this, it seems like such a long recovery. Jack has had this injury before and bounced back much quicker, vet is very surprised he is still so painful. Dr. Couto reported that the spondylosis (noted on x ray) is a common degenerative finding in dogs but was not a common diagnosis in greyhounds and generally does not cause pain or lameness.

Thank you