Big Bruise. Advice.

Hey everyone.

Today I was walking my Dolly. She was on the long line. She ran I fell like superman on the floor. When I fell and she pulled stop dead at the end of the lead on a zoomie, the lead got caught around the back leg groin area. She has a big bruise chafe mark.

(Long line now in the bin!)

She was ok at first but after a sleep she's whimpering a bit. Walking but very carefully and came down the stairs tripod style.

I've phoned the vets twice. They have no appointments and said they can only issue painkillers with seeing her. They don't do home visits. Plus I can't get her in the car on my own and the husband is away.

They advised rest. I'm just very worried and don't like to see her in pain. I hope she heels quick.

Advise and reassurance needed. X

See if she will let you put a cold pack wrapped in a towel on it. That should help reduce any swelling or bruising. If you don't have a cold pack, crushed ice in a ziploc and wrapped in a towel will do the trick.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

You may need to bite the bullet and see if theres an emergency vet near you. If she refuses to put weight on the leg, there could be something serious going on that needs attention sooner rather than later. Put her muzzle on with some peanut butter smeared on the front bars so you can get a look at her injury and get some ice on it. If she still won't let you, it's evet time.

Alternatively, you can ask your vet if it's possible for you to drop her off so they can take a look at her when they have time. They may want/need to do an xray, so ask them to call you first if so. Most greyhounds will be fine without sedation unless they have to be put in a weird position.

Lastly, FWIW, her nervousness is likely due to her anxiety at her new living situation, not to being an ex racer. She could also be genetically predisposed to anxiety, again, not related to her racing career. She should calm down as she settles into your home and routine.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:nod Agree with Greysmom

A rope burn hurts/stings like hell and stretched ligaments are very sore too. Do you have any human Tramadol or even Benadryl to put in her food to help make her sleepy? Look up the dosage for her weight before giving any. Don't give Aspirin as it makes under the skin bleeding worse

Watch to make sure she doesn't go into shock: They act weak or woozy, eyelids droop, and there can be pale tongue or gums. That would require a trip to your nearest E Vet.

If you can muzzle her to allow you to gently apply some Aloe Vera ointment or Neosporin, that can help with quicker healing. It just depends if there is a deep rope burn which will tend to weep soon.

Thank you everyone!

She's a lot better today. Because I'm so soft I slept downstairs next to her bed with her. I think she appreciated it.

She went in the garden to do her business this morning. When I came home from work she was at the door to great me. Took her down the road for a little walk. She's not a fan of using the garden as her toilet. Now back in bed nice and warm.

Thank you everyone!

Good you trashed the long line. I keep Sheba on a short 4-foot lead. Early on when she was new to me, I let her ahead of me on a 6-foot lead and she took off after a squirrel. I flew out of my shoes and landed on the ground, she was loose, and I had a broken arm. Luckily I caught up with her (glad it wasn't a broken leg!).