Does Prison Protocol For Hooks Make Dogs Vomit?

I just started my pup on the prison protocol today as I know many others have done with success. I gave her Drontal Plus with breakfast this morning (about 6:30) and about 3 hours later gave her the Advantage Multi. I then ran out to to store for about an hour - we have a camera on the living room where she stays and I noticed she would not settle down like she usually does after we leave, she was pacing from the front window to the back door. I came straight home and took her out thinking she had to "go" maybe but all she did was urinate a little. Then she wanted to play and proceeded to jump around for a few moments (on leash) and we went inside. Shortly there after she threw up on her bed, then she threw up on her bed again, then she threw up on the rug. All in about 30-45 minutes and all reasonable amounts. In the 2 months I've had her, she have never thrown up. Does anyone have any ideas if it was the Drontal or the Advantage Multi? Because I gave them both roughly at the same time as directed, I don't know which one caused it. Has anyone else had this issue while doing this regime? If the Drontal was in her for about 5 hours was that long enough to do any good? Any help will be appreciated!

As far as I know -- you are not supposed to give them together. The protocol has been revised to clarify that.

You'll need to check with the manufacturer with their recommendations. The original prison protocol had dogs exhibiting neurological symptoms.

I wish I could find good links for you but, none so far has identified the issues and also provided the manufacturer recommendations.

Edited by MaryJane

As far as I know -- you are not supposed to give them together. The protocol has been revised to clarify that.

Uh, oh. I give both at the same time. Do you have the link to the revised protocol?

I just started my pup on the prison protocol today as I know many others have done with success. I gave her Drontal Plus with breakfast this morning (about 6:30) and about 3 hours later gave her the Advantage Multi. I then ran out to to store for about an hour - we have a camera on the living room where she stays and I noticed she would not settle down like she usually does after we leave, she was pacing from the front window to the back door. I came straight home and took her out thinking she had to "go" maybe but all she did was urinate a little. Then she wanted to play and proceeded to jump around for a few moments (on leash) and we went inside. Shortly there after she threw up on her bed, then she threw up on her bed again, then she threw up on the rug. All in about 30-45 minutes and all reasonable amounts. In the 2 months I've had her, she have never thrown up. Does anyone have any ideas if it was the Drontal or the Advantage Multi? Because I gave them both roughly at the same time as directed, I don't know which one caused it. Has anyone else had this issue while doing this regime? If the Drontal was in her for about 5 hours was that long enough to do any good? Any help will be appreciated!

We're on month 3 of the prison protocol and, so far, no adverse effects. I was not aware of the revision.

Check this out: https://bayer.cvpservice.com/product/basic/view/1040024

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Thank you for the info, I wasn't aware of the revision. The copy I saw said that it was revised July 2018 see this link http://prisongreyhounds.org/Hookworm%207-2018.pdf. LaFlaca I tried your link but it requires log in information. Thank you both! Luckily she has not been sick since the third time, I don't think I'll feed her much this evening.

I cannot find the original information that I had referenced. However, it had stated that each one should be given 2 weeks apart and each one can only be given once a month - so, alternating treatment every 2 weeks. I suggest having your vet contact Bayer and affirming what they recommend.

Thank you for the info, I wasn't aware of the revision. The copy I saw said that it was revised July 2018 see this link http://prisongreyhounds.org/Hookworm%207-2018.pdf. LaFlaca I tried your link but it requires log in information. Thank you both! Luckily she has not been sick since the third time, I don't think I'll feed her much this evening.

This is the same pdf I have that says to give both on the same day.

Try this link for info on Drontal: https://www.bayerdvm.com/products/drontal-plus-tablets/

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I don't have any useful info except to suggest that if you are supposed to give them together again, you might ask your vet about spacing them apart at least one day so you can figure out which one is the culprit. Any chance you gave them with food in the past and this time didn't?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My Sammy can't tolerate Drontal Plus, he has vomited every time we've tried to give it to him (three times). We have to do three days of Panacru instead of Drontal.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Thanks everyone! I was giving Pyrantel every two weeks, all that did was cause her stool to become a bit runny. In an effort to get rid of these worms sooner than later I tried the Drontel and Advantage Multi. This is the first time giving her either medication so I gave her the Drontel with her full breakfast and about 3 hours later applied the Advantage. I was really hoping the Advantage would work since it kills the eggs and larvae but she was restless from the time it was applied until she started throwing up. About 5 hours after the last incident I gave her a few morsels of dry food soaked in water as she was not drinking, she reluctantly ate it all. Then kept wanting to go out to eat grass. The threw up about 10:45 and it was all grass. It's now morning and she still feels bad will not drink and has thrown up pink/red bile twice. I'm calling the vet as I don't want her to get deyhdrated and maybe they can give her something to calm her tummy. I know she is uncomfortable as she will only lay on her tummy and not her sides.

LaFlaca that link worked perfectly. I think I'll go back to the Pyrantel only every 2 weeks since that seems to be the only one that works for all the hooks without all the other stuff!! Thanks again everyone!

Drontal makes one of my dogs throw up if she gets the full dose all at once, plus not want to eat and be very lethargic for a couple of days. I usually break the pill in half and give it to her in two doses six hours apart with a food that is not her regular every day food. I gave her the Advantage multi the next day. The others could do a full dose of Drontal Plus all at once without issues other than being a bit lethargic. They are bigger, but also get a bigger dose. I switched them to Panacur/Safeguard because she tolerates it much better, but it is a three day dose, so I started it a couple days earlier then gave the Advantage Multi on the 4th day. I think the reaction just depends on the dog.

Drontal Plus causing vomiting is definitely not unheard of.

Greytxpctations thank you! My girl is only 62lbs and was a little more lethargic than normal too. The Drontal Plus I was given was in pill form and I was to give 1.5 pills per dose. I ended up taking her to the vet who gave her a shot of Cerenia for the nausea which helped greatly. Within 2 hours she was drinking water again and I gave her half her dinner later which she ate. They also gave her fluids subcutaneously to help with her slight dehydration. I was giving her liquid Pyrantel but thought I would try this way to hopefully speed up the worming process. I'm thinking I will now just go back to plain Pyrantel instead as this episode was very traumatic for her. Thank you all for your posts, I was really worried I had poisoned the poor pup!!

Glad she is feeling better. That Cerenia is magic.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."