Winter Apparel

Guest jc810

Hello,

This is my first post on this website, so I apologize if there is a better discussion board that this should go on.

This winter is my first winter with my first grey hound. I want to get ahead of any winter needs regarding apparel so I'm not scrambling in the late fall to get something shipped (since many folks custom-make this stuff, it may take a few weeks to get here). My question is what kind of jacket/coat/sweater should I purchase? I live in Atlanta, Georgia and the temperatures tend to hover around 33-50, but sometimes will be below freezing in the mornings. I wonder if there any of you in similar climate that could suggest what you normally outfit your greys in. We walk about 30 minutes twice a day (morning and early evening). I'm also looking for suggestions of where to purchase. I found K9 voyagers, and then many Etsy accounts for custom made attire. He generally runs pretty warm and doesn't mind the thermostat being set at around 71 at night. He will take a blanket off if i try and cover him up.Thanks in advance!

When we lived in the Midwest, I normally put a coat on Rocket when the temp was below 40. We had some heavy (thick) fleece coats, and a couple of the lighter weight flannel housecoats made by Houndtime. The owner of Houndtime.com, Irene is a member here. The flannel housecoats are great for those nights when it's chilly on the floor or when it's cool and windy and the dog just needs a little covering.

The heavier fleece is good for most lower temperatures that you will encounter. The coats are reasonably priced and Irene is great to work with if there are any special sizing requirements. Our boy has a huge neck and a "senior belly" so his most recent coat had to be somewhat customized. It fit perfectly after we did a little custom measuring and sent those measurements to Irene.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

it's very possible that your dog may not even need a coat. my whippet lived in a kennel last jan/feb/march and it was pretty chilly up here in ny.(his owner died and he was waiting for the right placement). he never needed a coat. he should do fine here, we keep the pm termostat at 62! yes, the old boy greyhound wears a single layer fleece to bed. a young dog should be fine with either a single layer fleece. as long as the dogs are moving they stay warm. the voyager is good for below 30 degrees. their tummy warmer might do the trick. but hound time has fun prints! it's all a matter of taste. welcome to cleaning out a section of your closet for dog ware!

Great - thanks for the information! I should have mentioned, that I'm too excited to have a selection of clothing that is as diverse as our growing collar collection. I agree - the fun prints are too cute.

I also should have included that I'm in the market for a raincoat, so i'm looking for suggestions there as well. He LOVES walks, but I can tell in the rain he gets annoyed having to shake all of the water every few minutes.

It really depends on the dog as well. You will see plenty of greyhounds happily playing in the snow without coats. Conner’s chiropractor used to live in Chicago and she said her greyhound rarely wore a coat until it dropped well below freezing. I would start with a light fleece and see how he does.

Thanks for the nice supportive posts. I am busy sewing for the Greyhound Weekend in Dewey next week. We will be vending in the Rehoboth Fire House; Friday. Saturday and Sunday.

I do have housecoats and seasonal fleece. Some are ready made in assorted sizes and I do custom cut. Our website is www.houndtime. com.

Take a look at the fabrics available and look at the Dog Coat Models page. There are a lot of Greytalk dogs on there.

Thanks.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I used to live in Greensboro, NC, which has weather similar to Atlanta (further north but lower elevation and more humid). I suggest a lightly lined raincoat that will do double duty against rain and cold. My experience was that rain protection was needed more than cold protection. Layer if needed with a lighter fleece or flannel, which can also double as pajamas/housecoat. However, it sounds like you aren't too concerned with keeping the wardrobe small. ;) In which case -- check out all the accessorizing you can do with snoods and turtlenecks!

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter