Foreign Body In Paw Pad?

Hi, my boy came in from the garden a couple of days ago with a cut in his pad. I cleaned it and inspected but couldnt see anything embedded. Hes been walking ok on grass and even surfaces but limping on uneven ground.

Should I just go straight to vet or has anyone had success with drawing the foreign body out? Ive heard Epsom salts or magnesium sulphate paste can be successful?

Any advice appreciated.

Soaking in epsom salts is the best way. A tall yogurt container or something similar with some warm water and epsom salts and have him stand in that if he tolerates it in that manner. Do this a couple times a day and it would help draw it out. I took out something really weird from the paw this way. You might have to help it along after a couple days of soaking. Even if it is just a cut, this will help him heal too. Good luck!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Yup, Epsom salt bath will work wonders.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

If you aren't able to get him to soak his paw, I've had the following work:

Catch him when he is sleepy and laying down. Soak a piece of a washcloth in the Epson salt solution. Wrap it around his paw. Insert wrapped paw into a baggie. Secure with something like vet wrap or a Velcro band. Leave it on as long as possible.

Soaking in epsom salts is the best way. A tall yogurt container or something similar with some warm water and epsom salts and have him stand in that if he tolerates it in that manner. Do this a couple times a day and it would help draw it out. I took out something really weird from the paw this way. You might have to help it along after a couple days of soaking. Even if it is just a cut, this will help him heal too. Good luck!

The other option is an old time drawing salve, ithamocal ointment. It is messy but effective. I have also soaked paws in massengil douche. Go know, but it worked. 3 xs a day in Epsom, use a tall plastic container is always an easy start. Edited by cleptogrey