Bruising

Last night I found what looks like a small bruise on one of Abbies hind legs ...my husband said he saw her licking it...Ive heard that greyhounds can be prone to bleeding disorders so of course now Im worried ...is this common? She does romp around and rough house play outside with our other dogs ...acting fine otherwise

Some do bruise quite easily, and on a white or light-colored dog you will see them more. What you want to watch for is it growing - many people draw an outline of the bruise with permanent marker to keep track of it. If it does keep getting bigger, particularly if it's growing rapidly, you'll want to get her seen asap (maybe at the e-vet if it's growing at an alarming rate).

If your vet isn't savvy with greyhound idiosyncrasies, aminocarproic acid or tranexamic acid are both used to help with clotting. You can also pick up some Yunan Bayou at your local homeopathic store/section. That can be taken it internally or it can be shaken on open wounds to help stop bleeding.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I wouldn't say that they're prone to "bleeding disorders" per se, in that any clotting "abnormalities" rarely lead to significant morbidity or mortality. Most of them bruise very easily. I pretty much just ignore bruises now as mine come home with bruises sometimes from running in the yard. Heck, they even bruise in the house from running into something or falling off the furniture. They also tend to bruise quite badly after surgery, and as mentioned above there are medications that can be given to help. This is different though from dogs like Dobbies that can suffer from hemophilia and are at risk of bleeding to death after major trauma or surgical procedures. The normal greyhound "bleeding disorder" rarely bleeds enough to require medical intervention. They can suffer from more serious bleeding disorders at the same rate as any other breed - autoimmune, platelet dysfunction, etc.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Hmmmm... You can't PM until 50 non-Cute-&-Funny posts but I think you can post pictures.

>Upload your picture to a photo-hosting site that allows Third Party posting (Instagram, Facebook, Flckr, the Gallery here on GT).

>Adjust your settings so posted photos are small to medium size.

>Copy the >IMG< url (usually under a "share" button or pop up window)

>Paste the url into a Reply box here on GT and hit "Post"

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly