Dental/meds Issue

My DW took Xena in for a dental yesterday morning. She called me shortly after noon and said that Xena was not going under and that they were going to keep her until everything cleared out of her system. I called the clinic this morning to get a rundown of what was done (I wanted to get it first hand from those who were there. No pre-ane meds were given. They put in a catheter and then put propofol in through the cath. My girl is wide awake. No tube was put in, but they did put an induction mask over her nose and administered isoflurane. Still nothing.

The doc said she's only seen this once before in 15 years. Has anyone else had this happen? What protocol did you use going forward?

Thanks in advance.

Cricket

ETA Meds in title

Edited by Cricket57

Cricket, mom to Mulligan (Kycera) and Xena (Kebo Tina Turner )

Have never heard of this. There are board certified veterinary anesthesiologists. I would ask your vet to get one involved in this case.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I had a vet once warn me not to give Ketamine to my boy Sam. They gave it pre-anesthesia, and apparently he tried to get up and leave during a dental... (Vet's phone call started, "Sam's okay now, but...") I had a dog tag engraved for him with "WARNING: NO KETAMINE."

I don't know what the vet practice wound up doing on future dentals, but they had no further problem.

Good luck.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

One of mine wouldn't go down with propofol but did when they masked him with isofluorane. The next time he had to go under, wouldn't wake up (eventually he did). Creeped my vet out big time, as you can imagine. I'd second the suggestion of getting a board-certified anaesthesiologist involved.

Oh, yeah, and if her teeth/gums aren't in dreadful shape, just need a good cleaning, and she is a cooperative girl, your vet might be able to do it while she is awake. We have been able to do some what way using primarily the ultrasonic scaler/polisher. Obviously can't do any extractions, but yes you can get under the gumline and it is lots better than not cleaning them at all.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I should have mentioned that my vet did use preops.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Batmom: She's not usually very cooperative, so I don't think doing it while she's awake would be an option. And I'll ask the vet about a board certified anesthesiologist. There IS one in Charleston.

tbhounds: The LVT I spoke with said they didn't use preops because of how sensitive greyhounds can be. I'll ask again when I talk to the vet (she was off when I called).

I checked Xena's adoption book yesterday when I got home. She went in with 4 or 5 others for her dental & spay. No notes. I'm guessing it's an in & out, wham-bam-thank you ma'am, no need for notes since we'll likely never see you again kind of thing. I also sent an email to the president of our adoption group, wondering if she might know something.

Cricket, mom to Mulligan (Kycera) and Xena (Kebo Tina Turner )

Im not surprised. It would take a lot of propofol (more than they were most likely comfortable using) to induce a dog of that size without having preop drugs on board. Why didnt they use preops?

We no longer use preops with Violet when she has dentals and they had no trouble getting her under using (I am pretty positive) the Propofol through a catheter.

This was part of a plan that the veterinary dentist, behaviorist, and vet anesthesiologist came up with to try to eliminate the bad reaction she had the furst time that we believe was stress related. For her, hanging out while the preops kicked in just gave her time to stress out.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."