Harnesses? For A Kite Flying Dog?

We are soon bringing home a new lurcher. I was able to meet her this past weekend and she has "Fly like a Kite" acrobatics down! :hehe She's only 19 months so hopefully she'll grow out of that at some point. I prefer to train all my pups to walk off a collar with zero pressure, but want to make sure I am paranoidly doing everything to make sure there is not accidental loose dogs during the next few years of her training. We also travel often, which equals to lots of leash time.

I already ordered a strap to connect from her martingale to a harness. But what harness do I use? Her color is going to be neon green, so preferably something secure that has that as an option.

I'm familiar with the 2 Hounds (used to be Wiggles Wags Whiskers), but am aware they can be gotten out of by athletic escape artists. We use the Ruffwear harnesses as mobility harnesses. They are secure, but don't have a fun neon green color.

What else is there? I need to do some shopping! :)

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

I have the Two Hounds harness and use the double leash to attach to Odin's collar and harness. So, he is attached for me from two places.

I bought it on Chewy, where it is a little less expensive, and it came with the double leash, which is an extra charge on the Two Hounds site. I wasn't even going to shop it around, but it just popped up on my FB. You know how look something up and then it haunts you for days after.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

The spook harness may be a better option if she's particularly wriggly. Regular harnesses, even the WWW 2 Hounds one do allow a dog to slip them occassionally. I know Ruff Wear makes a couple types of harnesses besides the one normally rocommended for tripod amps (the WebMaster). They are hiking harnesses which should be pretty secure, though I haven't used them. You might also check out .... Hmmm... having a senior moment - it's another company that makes a new hiking harness. It may have different color choices too. I'll try and remember. :rolleyes:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you!!!!!!! Please let me know if you remember! :) I'll check out the other Ruffwear stuff. They need more colors! This little girl can't clash, the horror! LOL

She's going to be in the Ruffwear Webmaster for her transport so she'll be safe, just not fashionable. :P

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

I am a huge fan of the Balance harness. It was the top rated no pull harness from Whole Dog Journal's recent review and is what I recommend to my clients over everything else for providing control without impeding shoulder movement. The nice thing about it is that the "top" part fits more like a collar so it would be easy to attach it to the martingale for safety. No experience with how easy it would be for a dog to slip out of it though. As far as I know, it's only sold on Blue-9 and Clean Run:

https://www.blue-9.com/products/100000000000061-balance-harness-over-head

It does not come in neon green either.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

She's gorgeous!!! :wub:

I still can't remember what the name of it is - it's from a outdoorsey kind of place - big box feed store type that we don't have any of here on the West coast. They just started putting out a line of dog stuff - they have a bed, a harness, other stuff. Crap.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly