Air Conditioning And Blue

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on what is best for Blue aka Blooper/Bloopee.

This call comes from a paranoid Mum! He had been diagnosed with partial paralysis of the larynx 3.5 years ago. I was reluctant to have "tie up" surgery, because of my fear of complications. Tried Pred (can't spell it) but he had the most horrid reaction. Blue is coping okay for a 12yo 45kg tall chap with a respiratory condition.

I have two types of cooling (installed for the greys of course). We have evaporative (on the roof type) for dry heat days, and recently have had refrigerated split systems installed for the humid days as the evaporative is less efficient on these days.

Today I am home for the day trialling the refrigerated cooling so I can set it when I leave for work. It's 33C and humid outside. Can get to the 40's plus in mid summer. Lovely and cool inside set on 23C. Blue's breathing is a little shallow and his nose veins are pronounced.

I think he is okay. He isn't panting, and is laying flat on his side (he usually lays flat) . Wondering why this could be so? Could it be the dry cool air perhaps.

Any thoughts on this?

Edited by schnookums

The big thing is to keep him from becoming stressed and panting. Whatever temp that is is what you should set it at. If he's fine at home, with no separation anxiety or anxiousness from noises, and he mostly just sleeps, you may be able to keep it a bit warmer than if he was stressing out the whole time you're gone.

The air may be a little dry for him. Make sure he has plenty of cold water easily available, and that he stays hydrated. The shallow breathing is likely due to him sleeping.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I know my Kasey used to run really hot so at 23 he would be panting. Yes it's expensive to run, but would you be able to drop it one more degree? I tend to freeze in both seasons for the dogs because I run really cold!

Try to limit his walks or outside time to dusk/dawn and very short outings in between. Also, a few people on here have bought cooling pads and some hounds enjoy laying on them. I can't find the thread at the moment but perhaps your dog would like to lay on one in the house? It's gel based and tends to dissipate body heat. Also consider putting a small fan on in his direction. Reducing the panting goes a long way, so it's good he isn't right now. Ah the lazy days of summer. :D

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Another Australian here. I leave our aircon at 23 - 24 degrees. Seems to work for all of ours. Otherwise, we have a fa on in our bedroom all the time, which is the pack den. It's tiled so it stays significantly cooler. Blinds are kept shut, water always available. Very early morning walks are our friend, as I'm sure you know. But in summer I do reduce their duration anyhow. They get pretty exhausted (particularly my black boy who seems to think that lying in full sun outside on 40 degree days is a sensible option. Just as well he's good looking because he isn't the brightest bulb in the room, bless him!).

My welsh terrier had LP. When it was bad i would stoke up the ac and he slept in front of a fan. we had to stop taking him on vacations since camping is not climate controlled. he also could not tolerate the car in warm weather. When he was boarded i made sure they knew that he needed a cold environment. good luck, just keep him in and on cold surfaces.

My Percy had laryngeal paralysis. Ask your vet about Doxepin. Works best at earliest diagnosis but still worth a try for your Blue. Doxepin is an antidepressant but Googling will show you it helps LP in dogs.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png