Another Puppy Question

I know this might be a silly question, but I know nothing about puppies and their behavior. I have always had older dogs, so learning as we go. Jesse is such a sweetheart. She is doing really well, starting her 2nd set of classes next week at the Humane Society, and seems to be a happy, busy little girl. She is 4 1/2 months already.

My question is, she is not very snuggly any more, and I am wondering if that is normal puppy behavior because they are so busy ? She will gladly come romp around with us, follows us wherever we go, bring us the ball to throw, etc.... After having a grey, and Ruby not liking any kind of snuggles, I was hoping the puppy would like to sit on our laps when not playing. She prefers to go lay down in her crate, or flop on the floor when she wears out.

Is that normal behavior for a puppy ? Does snuggliness (yes, I made that up) come with age ? She seems to love both my husband and I, but prefers snoozing elsewhere. I heard prior to getting her that male puppies tend to be more snuggly than females, but I also heard it the other way around. She sleeps in her crate at night, but happily lays down in the afternoons and snoozes on our bed.

Also, any happy thoughts and prayers you can spare for her tomorrow I appreciate it. She is being spayed first thing in the morning. .

Karen

My experience with two pups is that it's somewhat intrinsic within their personality. Kili was never snuggly. She still isn't... in fact she likes to be close but can be grumpy about contact she doesn't initiate when she's laying down. Kenna on the other hand is much more snuggly, and has been right from the start. Both puppies had a similar upbringing in regards to handling.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Thanks krissy, you always have such great advice and wisdom........Jesse isn't grumpy when being held, but she does jump off after just a couple of minutes usually. We let her do her thing and do not try to hang onto her when she wants down, I just wish she wanted "up" a bit more.

Karen

I think puppies are pretty self absorbed. I don't recall Nessa being overly snuggly as a puppy but as she matured she was more likely to seek attention from humans. I am sure it also depends on each dog's personality but the obedience training should help with the bond and also teach her to look to you for direction and attention.

I'm guessing it's an individual personality trait. I've always wanted a snuggle-bunny dog but never have had one. My son's pittie mix needs physical contact to live and sleeps in their bed spooning like a person. My MIL's terrier mix has been a total lap doggie since she was a puppy; she's 8 now. My new Grey, Lola, shows some promise in this area! She is a crotch and armpit head-hider. The woman at the adoption kennel had to ask DH, "Would you please remove your dog from your crotch so I can get her collar on"? Priceless!

I wonder if offering little Jesse some treats on your lap or next to you on the couch would encourage her to be near you? The training classes will certainly strengthen your bond.

Good thoughts for an uneventful spay. Keep us posted. 😊

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Thank you.......she is absolutely perfect just how she is, but I am the one wanting a snuggle bunny. Maybe she will grow into it as she ages as suggested. I hope so.

I just dropped her off to be spayed, and of course she threw up in the car on the way there. Made it hard to leave her there looking confused. Love her.

Karen

I do think that it is partly nature vs nurture as far as some traits go. Every dog we've adopted has had a gradual sort of slide into being the dog we want them to be - loving, attention seeking, bed snuggling dogs. But the dgree to which that happens does depend on the dogs themselves. She's going to be trying out and changing traits a little bit for the next few months.

You're also dealing with puppy phases, She will probably want snuggles sometimes and not want anything to do with you the next day, until her personality stabilizes and matures. Getting spayed will probably help some with that. So I think it's too soon to say if she will ultimately be as cuddle-y as you'd like.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I do think that it is partly nature vs nurture as far as some traits go. Every dog we've adopted has had a gradual sort of slide into being the dog we want them to be - loving, attention seeking, bed snuggling dogs. But the dgree to which that happens does depend on the dogs themselves. She's going to be trying out and changing traits a little bit for the next few months.

You're also dealing with puppy phases, She will probably want snuggles sometimes and not want anything to do with you the next day, until her personality stabilizes and matures. Getting spayed will probably help some with that. So I think it's too soon to say if she will ultimately be as cuddle-y as you'd like.

This is good to know, thank you. I wondered if it was just puppy phases, as I know the breed she is are normally very snuggly. She doesn't like to leave our side, so I see some hope for the future. If not, that's OK too. We lucked out with her behaviors, she has been an easy puppy so far.

Karen