New Nighttime Behavior

Guest Sqross

We have had our hound since July 2015. She is our second grey. Our first was a typical sweet, shy girl who developed a severe neuro issue and we had to put her down at the age of almost 12 after having her for almost 10 years. This one "didn't get the memo," is strong-willed, demand-barks, is space-aggressive (I have had 2 bites from this), jumps, and has the strength of an ox. After a difficult initial adjustment, she has done well, but recently has developed a new behavior of waking us up at 1 or 2 am with demand-barks to go out. She sleeps in our bedroom on her own bed. During the day she can go for 9+ hours (she will not go out even if I ask/invite her) and otherwise is a typical grey --sleeps much of the day, asks for pets, plays with toys, loves her Kongs. We don't think she has any bladder issues, especially since she can go so long during the day. But she insists we let her out in the middle of the night. We are putting her water away after dinner. We don't know if this is behavioral; there is no indication of any health issue. Any ideas? I want my sleep!

Are you actually taking her out? If so, you're reinforcing the behavior. A few rough nights if ignoring her and it should stop. Sounds like she may not be getting enough opportunities to expend her energy though so I would say ger in more off leash play, playing tug or fetch, food puzzles and food dispensing toys so she's more tired in the evenings.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Are you actually taking her out? If so, you're reinforcing the behavior. A few rough nights if ignoring her and it should stop.

:nod

This is the only method that I have found to work.

Don't give in!

Yes..that is easier said than done, but do not respond to her at all.

Don't speak. Don't move. 'Play dead'.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My first Grey, Wendy, would do this on a regular basis. She had a bladder the size of a 747 so she didn't have to pee (or poop); she wanted to hunt! I'd surreptitiously watch her on those late night outings and she was hunting whatever critter - possum, raccoon, rat, cat - was roaming the yard at the time.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Greyhounds are excellent people trainers!

Take this weekend to ignore her at night. It *will* be rough. Greyhounds can be very stubborn and very determined when they want something. And she's had this behavior reinforced now so she will be even more determined to go out and have her fun in the dark! If you have some noise cacelling headphones this is an good time to use them!

Be strong! Be calm!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I guess we will have to tough it out. She is quite demanding, and I am sure our giving in for the last few weeks has not helped. We did try spraying her with a water bottle which stopped her for about an hour and then she started again and we gave in. And she has a really, really loud bark. (So much for greys not being barkers!) We have had success with telling her firmly to "Go lie down" when she wants attention during the day and last night she did make it all the way through the night; I took away her water dish after dinner and she went out just before we went to bed.And I need to get my husband to ignore her...easier said than done! Again, thanks.