Fleas. Is Fipronil Ok?

Since my local vet practice was acquired by a bigger group, they appear to have changed the flea medication brands available. I went in to get some for Peggy but none of the brands they had sounded familiar and they also weren't able to find what I last bought for her (which she was fine with) a couple of years ago. The pet store only appears to have Frontline and other fipronil based spot on treatments.

I need to give Peggy something real soon as she's scratching,,,,

Has anyone on here had any trouble using that fipronil chemical on their Greyhounds?

The main problem here in the US is that fleas are becoming resistant to Frontline. We use Trifexis, which is a pill that covers fleas and worms too. For added protection, he wears a Seresto collar from spring to fall.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Fipronil is OK.

We too have better results with the oral products (Comfortis, Nexgard).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

frontline is suspended in an alcohol based solution. i do know that using the frontline gold seemed to result in red, flakey skin(which i reported to the company and it's now listed with the EPA). i have had positive results with frontline plus. Generally 48-72 hrs after application fleas are dead. It could be fall mold and allergies. Tis the season!

BATMOM- what weight are your dogs using the Comforts? Annie had adverse reactions to the Nexguard(Merial recorded that as well). Lethurgy for 2 days and was really out of it after ingestion. Sticking with Frontline Plus this year, most likely Soresto Collars next year.

Cleptogrey, we use whatever dose is for 65 lb dogs. I don't remember how the Comfortis is dosed, but we stuck with the label. The only issue we had with Comfortis is that the pups wouldn't eat it out of hand -- had to be broken in pieces and doused in peanutbuttter first. We switched to Nexguard because we have ticks hereabouts (ick). I do always give these meds shortly after a meal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks. I think it was probably Advantix she had before, but I've put some of the Frontline clone with Fipronil on her neck today as she's getting really aggravated by the need to go scratching. How soon to say if it hasn't worked?

The only flea treatment that kills fleas really fast is Capstar.

I don't know how long it would take to get fleas OFF of Peggy, but if she were mine, I'd bathe her with a soothing shampoo (I have great luck with products that say "coal tar" on them).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The only flea treatment that kills fleas really fast is Capstar.

I don't know how long it would take to get fleas OFF of Peggy, but if she were mine, I'd bathe her with a soothing shampoo (I have great luck with products that say "coal tar" on them).

Maybe that's a good idea... 1 still have half a bottle of Sebocalm shampoo left over, but it will have to wait a while or it will wash out the Fipronil won't it?

It shouldn't--the oil is absorbed into the skin then spread through the skin and coat over time. The manufacturer usually advises a 2-3 day waiting period and using mild shampoo, like for puppies.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg