New Greyhound - Hasn't Gone To The Bathroom Yet

Guest MissBibliophile

Guest MissBibliophile

Hello!

My boyfriend and I just adopted a year old greyhound. She came straight from the owner - he raises them to race cross country and said she and her sister didn't have the drive and desire to race. We picked up her last night and it is now almost 11am and she has yet to pee or poop. I think she may have gone a little bit in the kennel but not enough to really even be noticeable. I took her for a walk with my boyfriend's dog and she goes out when his dog goes out. I'm hoping it will help her to learn the routine by following the other dog.

She's very shy and somewhat nervous. Still giving us a pretty wide berth. I've set up a crate for her - she went in last night and seemed to do okay with a Kong and small bone. I am taking her out very often, at least every 1-2 hours. She'll sniff around and sniff behind the other dog but nothing has yet to come out. I'm a little worried.

She's enjoying the bed that I bought for her and has been interested in the few toys. We walked this morning and after we got back she seems a little more nervous than before we left. Currently standing away from me and looking at me from afar. I know I need to be patient, I just hope I'm not traumatizing her, want her to be happy and adjusted. I know that this is ALL very new and scary, I just hate to see her nervous.

I'm in and out throughout the day between school and errands, but not for more than 4-6 hours, so I have time spend with her.

She did eat a bowl of food this morning and drank some water. I'm doing lots of reading to try and do the best for her! Any suggestions would be wonderful.

-New nervous mom

Not at all unusual. We see this same question come up all the time in this circumstance. It's mostly stress and getting used to being someplace new. Sooner or later, she will go.

Keep taking her out and giving the opportunity so she gets used to the idea of going out. If you are taking her out on a leash and not in a fenced area, then try to give her a little privacy if you can like letting her go behind something as she may not be used to going while on a leash. Some people have had success by tying 2 leashes together to give them a longer lead to get away from the human, but this is also risky with a new dog. If you do that, be sure that the leashes cannot come apart, and as always, keep the "death grip" on the leash and give it a couple of wraps around your hand and wrist so the dog can't bolt it something startles her.

Congratulations on your new girl. She will be fine.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

She probably isn't used to going while she's on leash. Just keep trying and encouraging her. When she does go, make sure you have a supply of yummy treats to rewards her, and lots and lots of (quiet) praise. I say *quiet* as she's a bit nervous, and a boisterous potty party might make her less inclined to go! ;)

It will also help her if you put her on and keep her on a pretty set schedule. Even with you coming and going, she needs the structure of set times to have things happen to be more comfortable.

Time and patience. Patience and time.

Congrats and good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

General advice: I assume this is your first greyhound? - please be very gentle and soft with this dog. No raised voices, loud noises, fast movements, and give lots of space,etc. No crates unless she prefers a crate. Let her do her thing and don't get in her face. Do not approach her when she is lying down. She will eventually warm up to you. And she will eventually pee and other things. Great that she walked with you and interest in the toys is a good sign. Give about 6 months for her to evolve into something that resembles a pet. Might take less time but can take more. Worth it in the end.

Edited by KickReturn

My working dog waited a day and a half or more before going after she was flown in! I started to worry to but everybody said all was well and indeed it was. She eventually went and has never held it like that since. Also take it easy with your girl and go very slow. No need to do a bunch of nothing with her for weeks if not months. She NEEDS time to acclimate to the new planet she is now living on. Just let her do her thing and relax. Congratulations!

walk in one area, round and round in a good size circle. say- go potty, go pee, get busy- what every you decide your potty word will be. eventually she might go there. then take her to the same place, every time you release her from the crate, use the same word and when she finally squats- give her a high quality treat. then after she pees go one your walk. what you are doing is giving her a bathroom and in the long run it cuts down on essential walks especially when the weather changes and you want to go in and out. it also is teaching her the first command- go pee! a good command to know! i mentioned this in another post of yours https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Puppy-Toolkit-Step-Step/dp/0973159103/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505134214&sr=8-3&keywords=premier+book+dog+training worth while investing in.