Do You Bandage With Emt Gel?

Sweep scraped her hock this morning on the sidewalk. We cleaned and bandaged it but it was still bleeding a couple of hours later, so I applied some EMT gel. I've never used it before. I initially put the gel on, then some gauze squares and vet wrap. Then I got paranoid reading here that the bandage would get glued to the wound, so I took it off (and it was stuck to the fur a little). It's still bleeding slightly but I just put a sheet down on her bed, and so far she's not messing with it. Is it fine to leave it uncovered or should I re-bandage once everything is dry?

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I have had that stuff stick to gauze for sure. If she's being good and you are monitoring her and the bleeding has pretty much stopped, you could just leave it open. I like polysporin/neosporin but I do have that gel on hand from a dewclaw that became separated from it's owner. Alternatively, do it again one more time and remove it in 2 hours.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I have had that stuff stick to gauze for sure. If she's being good and you are monitoring her and the bleeding has pretty much stopped, you could just leave it open. I like polysporin/neosporin but I do have that gel on hand from a dewclaw that became separated from it's owner. Alternatively, do it again one more time and remove it in 2 hours.

Okay, thanks! I applied Neosporin with the first bandaging, but when it was still bleeding two hours later I figured I should try the EMT gel. After almost five years I'm still amazed how much these guys can bleed from seemingly minor injuries!

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

I don't bandage with EMT gel. It makes a kind of skin over the wound, so I just leave it. I figure, if the gel doesn't stop the bleeding and it needs to be bandaged, then it needs more than the EMT gel, if that makes sense. I hope Sweep feels better soon!

Makes sense--thank you!

EMT Gel is fondly called "scab in a tube" and makes its own scab. Do not bandage.

Noted!

x2!

So do you apply a bandage over the EMT gel ?

Actually, I have never heard of this gel. Do they tend to lick it or leave it alone ? Where do you get it ?

I got it from Amazon. Sweep has been licking the wound some, but I figure as long as the gel has had a chance to dry/harden first, no real harm done. Apparently the spray has some sort of licking deterrent in it, but like Pam, most people seem to prefer the gel for wound healing.

It was looking pretty nasty yesterday but already seems a bit better. She'll definitely have a new scar to add to her collection though.