New Mommy!

Guest Bo_thegreyt

Guest Bo_thegreyt

Hey guys. Our family is getting our girl this Sunday. This is our first greyhound. Any and all tips for me and my family would be greatly appreciated. I have 2 babies a 2 yr old son and a 1 yr old daughter. And 2 small Pomeranian

Congrats and Welcome from Germany.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest Bo_thegreyt

I got a very sad email this morning... The rescue we are working with is fantastic. So they decided to make sure that bo would be ok with small children as I have a 1 and 2 year old...Bo does not like children so they said they could not place her with us. I'm so so sad we were suppose to get her tomorrow. She was also the last hound they have. They will get more in a few months. They gave me some other rescues to apply with but I'm not sure if I should wait for them to get more hounds or go to another rescue

I'm sorry for your disappointment, but it's for the best. Since most retired racers are not raised around children, it's wise to start out with one who demonstrates they're comfortable around kids. I've had 3 hounds who were attracted to kids, 3 who were ok, and 1 who did not want to be around them.

You also have two small dogs, so you really need what we call a "bombproof" dog. Even that one will take a lot of getting used to your lively household There are lots of bombproof hounds out there, it's just a matter of hooking up with one. It may be best to get a dog who has been fostered first in a home with kids. Whether you decide to stay with your current group or look elsewhere, be upfront with the group(s) so they won't put a lot of time into finding the perfect dog only to have you say, "Thanks, but I already got one." It sounds like your current group would be ok keeping your name on the list, but knowing you are also looking elsewhere. Be aware that some groups do not adopt out greyhounds to people with kids as young as yours, just because of the high rate of problems and returns.

Pic below is of dear Romie, who got up on the sofa and wedged himself behind my little niece so he could be as close to her as possible.

IMG_0090.jpg

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Bo_thegreyt

I'm sorry for your disappointment, but it's for the best. Since most retired racers are not raised around children, it's wise to start out with one who demonstrates they're comfortable around kids. I've had 3 hounds who were attracted to kids, 3 who were ok, and 1 who did not want to be around them.

You also have two small dogs, so you really need what we call a "bombproof" dog. Even that one will take a lot of getting used to your lively household There are lots of bombproof hounds out there, it's just a matter of hooking up with one. It may be best to get a dog who has been fostered first in a home with kids. Whether you decide to stay with your current group or look elsewhere, be upfront with the group(s) so they won't put a lot of time into finding the perfect dog only to have you say, "Thanks, but I already got one." It sounds like your current group would be ok keeping your name on the list, but knowing you are also looking elsewhere. Be aware that some groups do not adopt out greyhounds to people with kids as young as yours, just because of the high rate of problems and returns.

Pic below is of dear Romie, who got up on the sofa and wedged himself behind my little niece so he could be as close to her as possible.

IMG_0090.jpg

thanks, I took your suggestion about telling the groups up front. I'm working with 2 and they are more than happy to help me find my special dog. We know it may take sometime, but we will be paitent. Our grey's new bed just came and now I just need the hound :)