Newbie Foster Grey Carer (Halp?)

Guest SeeFidgetRun

Guest SeeFidgetRun

Hello everyone!

I am delighted to have found this forum. My name is Paulina and I currently own three Miniature Pinscher boys; Étienne who is 7yrs old (entire), Jacques who is 9yrs old (neutered) and Remy who is 10yrs old (neutered) and who bring so much joy into my life. Recently I decided to foster a greyhound, for various reasons, and I was given the opportunity as my work has a special program with my state's official Greyhound Adoption Program (where students work with retired racers as part of their Veterinary Nursing studies).

There was an initial Expression of Interest form to fill out and it was not even a week before a hound came into my life. The only specification I had was that perhaps a female would be better as my house is drowning in boys. So now I'm fostering a lovely 2 1/2yr old girl named Jumpy (but I've taken to calling her Jolie...as in Angelina because I can't stand that 'name'), who is a gorgeous black girl with beautiful brown eyes.

Now it's been about a week and after the first couple of days I was ready to completely freak out because I discovered she had sleep aggression. When I have expressed concern to the person who finds foster homes for our greyhounds she did not mention anything about this, nor was I instructed to let "sleeping dogs lie" during any initial discussions. It is only through my own internet research and finding sources such as this forum that I've realised that I have a lot to learn about fostering greyhounds. I worry that my state isn't giving the correct information to potential fosters/adopters. I'm also unsure about certain 'ideas' about greyhounds e.g. my state seems to think Greyhounds only need a 20 minute walk daily where as other sources say they benefit from more exercise.

Can some experienced owners please give me some tips? Especially in regards to how I can teach my dogs not to approach her while she's on her bed? Thankfully all she's done thus far is growl (yesterday Remy wanted to snuggle with her because I had a soft blanket on her bed, she told him off and then he went and sulked for an hour) but I don't want any incidents to happen and obviously I would prefer to keep her muzzle off inside to get her used to normal pet life. I will add I always supervise and that when SO and I have to go out of the house for short periods of time and can not take her with us e.g. gym we leave her in the hallway with her bed, water and music playing in the background while my Min Pins are in the laundry.

I will also add that she has settled in remarkably well, absolutely adores people and loves car rides and is a total dream with toileting. She's quite affectionate and energetic and has thus far really enjoyed any trips we have taken her on.

Oh another small issue is feeding - we are provided with her kibble for her dinner at night (she works with the students during the day Monday to Friday) but we've generally had to add something in order for her to eat; cottage cheese or skinless roast chicken have worked in the last few days. Any tips for fussy hound eaters?

Thank you everyone, looking forward to your responses :)

Hi and welcome to the Greytalk board :gh_bow

it is normal that they like real meaty things on their 'boring' kibble. Just a little will do. I watch for when the supermarket has nearly out of date mince or cheaper chicken thighs (very easy to de-bone if oven cooked for 35 minutes). Sometimes just a handful of grated cheese will get the kibble eaten.

Sleep startle aggression is just something that certain dogs are prone to, and you make allowances. How to stop other dogs doing it to her shouldn't be a problem if they're respectful dogs. If they're persistent little things like JRT's then there is going to be trouble. If when you leave the house with no people in it and dogs separated securely, leave a sign just inside saying that the dogs are not yet safe to be left mixed together. You never know when someone may need to go and look in on them for you.

Learn to read your Grey's actual body language better so that you pick up the subtleties more reliably. Info in the article may help.

You really should be working with the group you're fostering for since I expect they have methods of doing everything, and you should be doing what they ask so that the eventual adopter will know what has and hasn't been worked on with this dog.

I'm guessing you're not in the USA? And also that when you say your dog is "entirely" you mean intact?

1) Please don't change the name of a foster dog. It's unfair to the dog. If she has a name, use it. Let her new family give her any name they want, but that's not for you to do.

2) Feed her what the group told you to feed her. Giving dogs add ins all the time is the easiest way to create a picky eater.

3) "Sleep aggression" is different from growling at a dog who approaches her on her bed. That's more of a space thing, and it's normal. Sleep aggression is when a dog is actual asleep and lunges/snarels/snaps at whoever touches her when she's asleep. Greyhounds can sleep with their eyes open, so it's generally best to never touch a greyhound you don't know very well unless it is obviously awake.

4) Please read "Greyhounds for Dummies" or something similar

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SeeFidgetRun

@JohnF thank you for the article. I worry my dogs are quite rude but so far the greyhound has been extremely tolerant. They're learning not to approach her space. My partner was petting her this morning on her bed (she's very people focused) and one of our other dogs came close but this time she didn't react so I quickly told him to praise her.

@Roo wow, that's adorable! Apparently our hound isn't the only fussy eater in the group of currently being fostered greyhounds so I've been chatting with the group and keeping up with their suggestions.

@GeorgeofNE I am working with the group but the person I have contact with did not warn or mention or discuss that the greyhound may haves problems with space and/or sleep disturbance. Guess I'm going to have to clarify a few things;

Entire/intact means the same thing. Where I am located has no bearing on this conversation though you are correct that I am not based in the USA.

1) Guess I can't really joke on here or I should make things black and white. I do use her name, but only with her. When I'm talking about her to others it gets stuck in my throat because I dislike it so much. Apologies for having personality quirks!

2) Last night I did feed what I was told to feed her. She still only ate half of the required amount.

3) She appears to have both sleep aggression and space issues. I'm glad to know it's 'normal' but let's try a bit of empathy here and put yourself in my shoes. I've never been around dogs who have had any issues at all with being touched when asleep/resting and I was not warned about this behaviour. Also the suggestions given to desensitize her are not going to work but cause more issues - the group suggested tossing her treats when she allows the other dogs closer to her without fuss but my dogs are crazy food focused and would probably bolt for the treat themselves...so this isn't a feasible option.

4) I'll check the local libraries and book stores; thanks for the tip.

As you look around the board a bit more, I'm sure you'll see that some members have strong opinions and openly share them.

I'm going to move this post to the training/behavior forum and you will likely get many more suggestions on what others have experienced. As with all forums, you might have to filter though things.

As you look around the board a bit more, I'm sure you'll see that some members have strong opinions and openly share them.

I'm going to move this post to the training/behavior forum and you will likely get many more suggestions on what others have experienced. As with all forums, you might have to filter though things.

I agree with Trudy. Please give GreyTalk a chance. :)

We have members with a lot of with greyhound knowledge.

And we have members who like to think they have a lot of greyhound knowledge to share, sometimes very rudely.

We have Vets, and trainers, and show people, and lawyers, and LEO's, and parents, and Doctors, and military, and mainly just good people.

But the one thing we DO NOT have are EXPERTS! We are greyhound owners from all walks of life who are simply sharing what we have learned after years of living with greyhounds and other companion animals.

Please try pick out the good information, share your experiences, and enjoy both your greyhounds and the many good people here. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest SeeFidgetRun

Sorry if I was prickly, I am going to add here that I had decided to foster at a time in my life that probably wasn't the best, but I am determined to do right by her and continue to foster her until she's ready to be adopted.

I take the onus on myself for not being fully prepared, and I guess it's definitely a lesson learned. I got caught up in the propaganda that my state releases, which may come from good intentions but does nothing for potential owners who really have no idea. Some of the things mentioned that I've now realised aren't always the case;

- form bonds quickly

- affectionate

- require little exercise

- not aggressive/reactive

- adapt very quickly to new situations

- desire/need for human contact

- couch snugglers

It's been a bit of a culture shock to say the least!

P.S. Found one of the libraries has Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies, I've put it on hold so hopefully I'll be able to go pick it up from my local soon (they have a floating collection).

Edited by Fevahpytch

Welcome to GreyTalk! :)

Thank you for opening your home to help a deserving Greyhound transition into pet life. It can be great fun to watch them learn about pet life. Your foster girl seems like a sweetie! :)

- A secure baby-gate is a nice way to safely separate a new dog from a resident dog pack, especially during dog feedings, and human departures.

Many USA adoption groups loan metal crates for foster dogs (e.g., to keep house cats safe during dog's adjustment period, and/or provide dog a safe resting space from resident pets, young children. etc.), but a baby-gate can work well when cats aren't involved. If your Min. Pins understand "leave it" and/or your verbal direction to lie on their own beds, great; otherwise, I'd opt for a baby-gate. (I might try to avoid a crate in your foster hound's case since she might be crated much of the day at the vet school.)

- Dog-proof rooms: Keep items in closed drawers, cabinets, or closet -- like medicines, vitamins, food, remote controls, eye glasses, important mail/bills/checks/papers, socks, shoes, etc.

Greyhounds standing on their hind legs can reach similar heights as a person, so best to keep kitchen counters clear of any food temptations like butter, bread, bags of snacks, (toxic) chocolate and avocados, etc.

- Large, brightly colored Post-it notes placed at hound's sight level on low glass doors or windows help prevent new Greyhounds from walking/running into glass.

- Yes, it's safest to let resting dogs lie undisturbed on their own thick, cushy dog bed placed in or next to a well lived-in room, so the new dog feels included in family time, but away from traffic paths/space invasions. Dog's bed could be on the far side of a room or just on the opposite side of baby-gate. It's safest to wait for a dog to stand up and walk away from his/her dog bed before petting. Racing Greyhounds are not used to sharing their personal resting or eating space (both happen in their own crate), so it takes time to adjust to home/family life.

(Slightly different scenario: A growl is considered a polite warning in canine communication when a dog is feeling threatened. If a growl is a reaction to a human, best response is to stop the action causing the dog's discomfort and back away. If a dog is scolded for growling, some dogs learn to skip the growl and go directly to a bite to get his/her point across. If a human needs to take a potentially dangerous item away from a dog, go into another room and happily call dog for a high value (meat) treat. If dog won't "come", toss a walking trail of treats on floor near dog to distract dog away from dangerous item. A human can then retrieve the dangerous item the dog left behind. Another distraction (if human can follow-through immediately) is offering a fun walk, outing, car ride, toy play, etc.)

- Some new foster dogs take a while to feel comfortable enough to eat full meals. One of our hounds considers herself an omega (last of the pack). She often won't eat until after all the other hounds have finished eating and are back to resting on their own beds. Also, she requires an elimination outing shortly before meals. We divide daily kibble portions into 3 meals: breakfast, dinner, and a small snack at bedtime to prevent an empty/upset tummy before morning.

Low sodium chicken broth could entice your foster hound to eat. (As you probably know, safest to avoid excess fat and salt.)

- Shorter walks are fine (and preferred) for new foster hounds. It's better to gradually build up their paw pad toughness, and walking endurance. Racers are brief sprinters used to racing 30+ seconds on soft sand surfaces. Generally, dogs should have a minimum of 4-6 elimination opportunities per day, but every outing doesn't need to be a full walk, just a quick elimination outside the house is fine. (I offer new foster dogs outings every 2 hours during day and evening on very first and second days home to help teach good housebreaking habits. Following days, times are gradually extended by an hour. (Our maximum time between day/evening outings is usually 4 hours.)

- Greyhounds are temperature sensitive (lack body fat and fur undercoat). During warm seasons, we take walks in shade during coolest times of morning/evening. Also, dogs' paw pads can burn on hot asphalt. If in doubt, rest your bare hand on cement/asphalt for a minute to check if too hot for a dog's bare paw pads. (Our own Greyhounds' comfortable walking temperature is under about 72 F.)

It appears Remy listened well to your foster hound's canine warning; that's good (but sorry his feelings were hurt). I'm assuming (hope) your foster hound is already spayed since you have an intact male.

Best of luck. My foster hounds have been adopted fairly quickly -- too quickly for me sometimes! :beatheart

Guest SeeFidgetRun

@3greytjoys wow, thank you so much for that in depth and informative response!

I'll clarify a few more things to allow a better picture to be formed.

We don't have a baby gate but I do seperate the Min Pins from Jumpy when it is feeding time or when we need to go out. My dogs have access to the back yard via a doggy door in the laundry so they get shut in there. Jumpy stays in the hallway with her bed, water and a toy. She's used to being in a run during the day so we've had zero issues with leaving her in the house for up to a few hours at a time. Again I have to reiterate how amazing she's been with her toileting - we take her out the back every so often and she has learnt incredibly quickly. Not one accident in the house after a week and counting.

So far she hasn't been incredibly curious about household items but she's starting to sniff around more so I'll make sure to supervise her more vigilently in the upcoming weeks. She has only popped up on the kitchen counter twice but seemed to understand this was undesirable behaviour...or there just wasn't anything interesting on there! The only item she's stolen was a beanie I have which has a pompom on it. She allowed me to take it back with no fuss however!

Oh dear. I wish I had known about the post it notes. Jumpy has unfortunately already run into the door once but lesson learned immediately so she was careful after that. Now she tends to stand at the back door when she wants to go outside to toilet which is wonderful.

Since she does tend to like to be in the same room with us when we are home, her bed is either in the living room against the wall away from the doorways or at the foot of our bed. Once we are all ready to go to sleep, one Min Pin is left in his bed in the laundry with the door closed and the other two are crated in the bedroom. Jumpy remains at the foot of the bed with the bedroom door closed and ensuite door open as that is where her water bowl is. There's a mirror in the hallway and she spooked herself on one of the first nights when she went for a wander which is why we've restricted the space.

I might try to offer her food a few extra times at night because in her run she can eat whenever she wants to which means she doesn't finish her meals in one go.

I think I mentioned she loves the car so she gets really excited in the morning when I drive her back to the school and in the evening when I pick her up. Sometimes she doesn't want to come out of the car! We have tried to go on daily walks that aren't too strenuous. Today I took her to a fenced dog park after work because she seemed unsettled. It isnt a popular dog park so thankfully no one was there when we were. She did a few zoomies on the grass but seemed more interested in just wandering around and exploring. We then walked around the reserve for about 10 minutes and it was very stop-start because she tends to pull on her lead so I'm trying to encourage her to walk by my side by stopping whenever there's no slack. At one point my partner messaged me and I wanted to reply so I said 'wait' and stopped. She stood there perfectly still until I was finished. So proud of her!

It's actually winter here so we are having the opposite problem. The group has given me a jacket but it's fairly old (I took photos of the set up today to share with my partner and he was insulted that our girl seemed to have the worst jacket) and doesn't seem well insulated. I might have a chat with them about it because the other jackets look like they're made of fleece while hers seems like fairly thin material. There's a few online stores that offer jackets that are reasonably priced so I might see if I can buy one and then donate it to the group when fostering is over.

Yes, she's definitely spayed so there are no issues in that regard. All the greyhounds are spayed/neutered before they go into foster care.

Still doesn't like to be approached by the boys when she's relaxing and has been warning with growls and thus far everyone is listening and being respectful. It's still always a bit of a heart stopping moment for me each time it happens though because they're so teeny tiny.

She's going to make a wonderful companion for someone, that's for sure. I suspect she would prefer to be the only dog though but I might be wrong as it's early days.

You've already gotten lots of detailed information above, so I don't have a whole lot to add. If you want something prettier than Post-it notes, we've used static cling stickers at eye level on our sliding glass doors. Also, you should be able to get a used version of Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies on Amazon. US copies are running about $6 with free shipping. I know you're not in the US, but surely there's something comparable in your location.

Welcome to GreyTalk!

Cricket

Cricket, mom to Mulligan (Kycera) and Xena (Kebo Tina Turner )

My girl would growl when approached when we first brought her home, but that stopped after a few weeks, so it may not be a permanent behavior. They are just not used to being bothered.

We have had her almost a year and she still likes a little something extra in her food. EVERY TIME. And, (haha, not that she is spoiled or anything!) she likes it to vary. You can't just pick something and add it every time. Cheese one day, chicken another, sometimes broth will do it, sometimes I just have to add a treat to her bowl and she will eat the treat and then everything else.

Guest SeeFidgetRun

@Cricket57 I think I mentioned in my previous post I did find that particular book at one of our libraries and put it on hold, just waiting for it to be transferred to my local library :)

@Redfishingirl Oh that's adorable! Sounds like she's trained you well ;) I have one of my Min Pins going in for a scale and dental check up today and the vet demanded I bring the hound when I pick him up after work so I might ask her for some advice also.

I had a good laugh this morning. I bought a dried pork hide roll for Jumpy a few days ago and she was totally uninterested so it's been sitting on the kitchen bench. This morning I put my work bag on the ottoman and she promptly came over, sniffed around inside of it and stole my beanie. I took it off her and put it on the dining table so she trotted back and stole my umbrella! So I then put the roll strategically placed in my bag and took the umbrella off her. Success! She stole the roll and had a bit of a chew while we were getting ready for work.

Edited by SeeFidgetRun

Ah yes, free feeding at vet school could be the reason for her reduced appetite at night. I wouldn't worry too much, but it's worth a mention to the foster rep. May as well ask about a different coat too. Perhaps her current coat might be a rain coat(?). (Greyhound coats are usually a unique size compared to other breeds as seen in GT's member merchandise links section.)

Seems you're doing a great job fostering, and managing the house environment as well as can be expected (sans gate or large crate). I would continue to leave the Greyhound muzzle on Jumpy when she is resting on her bed, etc while your Min Pins are roaming freely in the house. It's still early in her new environment while developing new canine relationships, and depending on your Min Pins' respectful behavior (or not), better to ensure safety in this early adjustment period. You are smart to keep everyone separated whenever food is involved.v

Going to an empty dog park is really the safest time to go to a dog park. :) Greyhounds have very thin skin which can tear more easily than other breeds during play. Also, their racing/chasing prey switch can turn on when running loose outside in a dog park. (Similar example: Cat-friendly Greyhounds can be fine with indoor family cats, but adopters are cautioned against allowing the cat outside at the same time their hound is running loose outside in their fenced yard.)

Jumpy's reaction to seeing herself in the mirror may have been a good thing since it spurred you to reduce her roaming space. New fosters tend to do better learning a new home, family, and housebreaking in limited spaces before graduating to full house roaming. Her good behavior is an encouraging sign! :)

She appears to be a s-w-e-e-t-h-e-a-r-t !

Welcome to GreyTalk, and thanks for fostering. Not trying to overwhelm you with reading material, but here's a link to a short article that tries to look at things like protecting space from a greyhound's point of view: http://www.northerngreyhoundadoptions.org/ThoughtsOfAGrey.php

Picky eating: I never give my dogs anything special with their meals, just for this reason. :) Treats are given separately.

Your story about her stealing things around the pork roll made me smile and remember my girl, Nutmeg, who was the world's sweetest and most well-behaved dog on the planet. Except when it came to my bathmat. I would be in the shower and never hear or see a thing, only to find bare floor when I got out. Nutmeg would be lying on one of the dogbeds, augmented by a fluffy white bathmat, rolling her eyes and pretending she didn't have a clue what I was fussing about.

"Does not require much exercise" is relative -- compared to most other large dogs, they don't. Evidently she likes more than your min pins. Do you take the grey and one or more of the min pins on walks together? It's a good bonding experience.

Maybe you could offer to rewrite/add to the information given out to future foster folks?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest SeeFidgetRun

Update ^^

@3greytjoys Jumpy must be feeling more comfortable with us because we had no feeding issues over the weekend. The group provided me with some meaty roll which we mashed up and stirred into her kibble and that seemed to do the trick. Also when I went to pick her up on Friday night she had a nice new jumper on! Fleecy on the inside which is wonderful. Whenever I see the Min Pins going near her resting place I insert myself between them and redirect the boys. They are being quite good though themselves seem quite perplexed as they've all grown up together and everything is fair game. Often when someone sits down on the couch they get a 'puppy pile up' of the boys, one on top of the other. So they definitely have no idea about personal space. I'm super vigilant and the boys prefer to be on the couch anyway (Jumpy prefers her bed and the rug) which is a good thing as Jumpy really dislikes her muzzle. She won't leave it alone when it is on unless we are actually on a walk.

@EllenEveBaz I have read that article, it's really insightful actually so thank you for the link. Awww Nutmeg sounds like she was an adorable cheeky girl. We have been taking Jumpy on walks with the boys on rotation and sometimes as a gang and it's going really well. The Min Pins love exercise also, but like me they're less keen when it's this cold. However, I did buy them some adorable jackets the other day so the evening walks have been met with enthusiasm. We have a long weekend upcoming so we are planning some longer day trips each day with Jumpy and a different Min Pin, since she is such a car enthusiast.

Speaking of which...sometimes she refuses to get out the car and I actually have to pick her up and take her out. No amount of coaxing or treats will move her. Thankfully she's been handled so much by the vet nurse students she doesn't mind being picked up. It's hard not to laugh when she deliberately flops and makes herself dead weight though. Is it alright that I am picking her up or should I wait a little longer for her to get out or? Any tips appreciated.

Last night we also had confirmation that she does get sleep startled. The boys were in the laundry in their beds and she was lying in front of the ottoman on the rug while I was sitting on the ottoman watching tv. I spoke to my partner at one point and must of woken her as she then growled for a full 10-15 seconds. I backed off the ottoman and went to the kitchen to give her space but I must admit it scared me. It's so different experiencing a Min Pin growl as opposed to a Greyhound growl!

@Cricket57 I think I mentioned in my previous post I did find that particular book at one of our libraries and put it on hold, just waiting for it to be transferred to my local library :)

I did see that - just offering up that you could get a cheap, used copy quicker instead of having to wait for a copy to be transferred to your local library. :)

Cricket

Cricket, mom to Mulligan (Kycera) and Xena (Kebo Tina Turner )