Medicine Side Effects

Guest Lyra

So Harley was given Rimadyl and Tramadol to use until his surgery this week. He had 1 1/2 days worth of doses and had horrible diarrhea the second night. It was so bad he had me up and taking him out every few hours, sometimes multiple times an hour. It was liquid, but no blood so I wasn't panicking, I just felt so bad for him. I stopped the meds and fasted him for 24 hrs to let his stomach settle and kept him hydrated.

His surgery is in 2 days, after that reaction I am not medicating him anymore before the surgery. He still has his splint on, and seems to be doing okay pain-wise even without medication. I am going to talk to the orthopedic tomorrow and see what she thinks, my main concern at this point is after surgery pain management. He will have a pin (or possibly multiple) placed, so there will definitely be discomfort. Did any of your Greys have such a strong reaction? Any alternative medications work better?

I definitely want to make sure he's comfortable after surgery, but his reaction was so strong and he was so miserable. I don't want to put him through that again.

Yes. I would say the nsaid was the culprit (the rimadyl). So unless he has a reaction to opioids, the tramadol should be OK to give him for pain.

He might be fine with a different nsaid, but I would probably opt for none.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Continue with the tramadol-can be given without food and if anything with slow the gi tract down.

:thumbs-up

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Yes. Rimadyl gave my mutt horrible diarrhea, but Deramaxx did not. Tramadol (which I have been taking for many years) doesn't really seem to have many side effects except if the dose is higher a bit of a buzz. Good luck with the surgery. The pin won't hurt. The surgical site really won't be too bad either, based on my sadly extensive experience with orthopedic surgery.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The Tramadol is prolly OK. The bad rxn was most likely the Rimadyl. Dog NSAID's are hard on them. I would have no problem with using the Tramadol as I have found it to be very safe and effective for pain. I would never use Rimadyl. Praying for Harley's quick recovery!

That makes me feel so much better, at least I have a better hope of pain management for him now. I am going to speak to the orthipedic this afternoon and will go from there. I'll try just the Tramadol and see how he does, and speak to her about the need for the anti-inflammatory after surgery. Maybe if he only has the pain meds we'll both get to sleep through the night.

His surgery is tomorrow, I'll keep you all posted on the other thread about his limp. Thanks again!