Slo

Lots of info on the Greyhounds with SLO group on Facebook! My Mickey lost all but two nails in a couple months. They grew back all crazy looking, and those also fell out. He would later go for five or six months without losing any, and would only lose one or two at a time. It's not life threatening, and can be managed. I seldom took him to the vet for a lost nail once I learned to control the bleeding. I would only wrap for a short time. They seemed to heal better when left alone. I did have to stop his therapy dog visits because I didn't want him to bleed all over the floor in the school or nursing home. Sometimes there can be a lot of blood! I followed the grassmere protocol noted earlier. Good luck!

One of my bridge hounds had SLO-it was finally diagnosed by a dermatologist. No biopsy needed-just diagnosed by clinical signs.

We where prescribed a short course of pred to reduce the immediate inflammation then started on tetracycline, niacinamide (the two meds bind together) and omega oils. Eventually we stopped the tetra (had to be given three times a day) and started pentoxifylline which I found just as effective.

Years ago my dear Scout came to me as a bounced foster (ha!) with a fungal infection diagnosis that turned out to be SLO. I forget the details, but he was put on a regimen very similar to the Grassmere, including the tetracycline and niacinamide. He improved over some months, and gradually we were able to stop some of the meds, including the t & n. He ended up maintaining with a loss of about 1 nail a year. The regrown nails were funky, as noted above -- gnarly and kind of greasy and crumbly at the same time, but didn't seem to bother him except when he lost one. I felt obliged to keep the nails trimmed short so he wouldn't snag or stub them, and he HATED nail clippings. But it was totally doable.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter