Sleep Issues

Guest Trena

Guest Trena

We have had our grey for 2 weeks. She sleeps in our bedroom on her own bed. The bedroom door is closed so she does not wonder around the house. When we first go to bed she will go to her bed a lay down. However throughout the night she will wake up and come to us. We tell her to lay down and she does. But a hour or two later she is back up and this keeps repeating until it is time to get up. Last night was different. She kept pacing the floor and whining, coming to me then my fiancee. We ignored her, but she continued this behavior all night. Of course we are sleep deprived after 2 weeks of this. We thought that she would have started settling down by now. I know that she wants to get into bed with us, because she really try's her hardest to do so. But there is just not enough room. Looking for advice on how to make her more comfortable and relaxed, so that all can get a good nights sleep.

She's still very new, so it could just be that, but a couple of other ideas: do you give her a cookie or two just before bed? Maybe she'd settle for longer with a little something in her belly. Also, you're in NC, which I imagine has had just as mild a winter as we've had in TN this year, but could she be cold? Does she have blankets to nest in on her bed, or have you considered jammies for her?

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest Trena

She's still very new, so it could just be that, but a couple of other ideas: do you give her a cookie or two just before bed? Maybe she'd settle for longer with a little something in her belly. Also, you're in NC, which I imagine has had just as mild a winter as we've had in TN this year, but could she be cold? Does she have blankets to nest in on her bed, or have you considered jammies for her?

Ramonaghn... I've not tried giving her a treat before bed. I will try that once her diarrhea clears up. Doctor's orders no snacks. It has been a mild winter here also. She is by a window, but she does have a blanket to get under if she needs to, I could cover her up with it before I go to bed, just in case she is. Never considered jammies for her. Where do you buy those?

Maybe try to tire her out before bed? I know its winter, but a tired houndie is a good houndie!

She does sleep while we are watching TV before bed. So that could be the problem. However she is walked right before bed time.

Is there any reason why she has to stay in the bedroom? My Johnny likes to start off in the living room, then come down the hall. He hates being behind a closed door.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Ramonaghn... I've not tried giving her a treat before bed. I will try that once her diarrhea clears up. Doctor's orders no snacks. It has been a mild winter here also. She is by a window, but she does have a blanket to get under if she needs to, I could cover her up with it before I go to bed, just in case she is. Never considered jammies for her. Where do you buy those?

Instead of treats, you could try setting aside a little of her dinner (maybe 1/3) to give her before bedtime.

A few sources for jammies: Downtown Houndz, No Nude Hounds, and Houndtime. Etsy probably has several options too. I think "tucking her in" with her blanket at bedtime is a good test before you buy any though.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Is there any reason why she has to stay in the bedroom? My Johnny likes to start off in the living room, then come down the hall. He hates being behind a closed door.

This. Some dogs don't like to sleep in an enclosed space. Try leaving the door open with a baby gate across. Also, if she's having diarrhea, she may be needing to go o-u-t and getting stressed by trying to hold it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If she doesn't mind a crate.... Our fosters and new puppies are always crated to help them develop good habits at bed time. Kili sometimes tries to climb into bed, but finding her the perfect dog bed has minimized that. Also having a coat on her helps too because sometimes she just gets cold and wants to be with us in the warmth.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Trena

Instead of treats, you could try setting aside a little of her dinner (maybe 1/3) to give her before bedtime.

A few sources for jammies: Downtown Houndz, No Nude Hounds, and Houndtime. Etsy probably has several options too. I think "tucking her in" with her blanket at bedtime is a good test before you buy any though.

Thanks for the links!

she wants to be in there with us. She likes staying as close as she can.

If she doesn't mind a crate.... Our fosters and new puppies are always crated to help them develop good habits at bed time. Kili sometimes tries to climb into bed, but finding her the perfect dog bed has minimized that. Also having a coat on her helps too because sometimes she just gets cold and wants to be with us in the warmth.

At first she would go in her crate and lay down to sleep. Then after we left her a few times in the crate when we had to do a errand or go to work, she no longer likes it. We have to entice her to go in ever time we leave.

Edited by Trena

Trena.....i went through the same thing with Jazz and it was not fun! My partner is a heavy sleeper so would sleep through it and couldn't understand why i was a walking zombie every day! My dogs have always slept in the bedroom, they are not allowed on our bed and we don't crate (its not a big thing here in AUS).

Jazz would do the same, go to bed, wake up, walk around the room (we have floorboards so you can imagine the noise), bed, wake up, walk around, nudge me, want to go outside, bed...........this went on for months! I am happy to report that she no longer does this (we've had her nearly a year now) however, the bad news is it will take a little time to sort out.

Firstly, she is new and it is also getting used to her surroundings, i've found with all my greys, it takes about 2-3 months for them to fully settle in a home ie to get used to this is furever and they are no longer racing (Jazz we found took a lot longer as she was/still is slightly an anxious dog). We started doing morning and evening walks to tire her out, it seems she is one of these elusive greyhounds, "The very Active Grey" and she just had pent up energy at night. She now knows that she has a night walk and when she wakes up, has a morning walk. The last thing we did, was like the others have suggested, is the treat at bedtime. When we said "Bed" and she sat on it at night, she got a treat, she soon worked out that bed = treat and walks! She now loves her bed, even to the point she lays on it until i'm fully dressed in my walking gear and have her lead in hand, before, she was licking me awake 1min before my alarm would go off.

It will take time but she will get there x

f023be7e-5a19-4ae1-8afe-8834a7fafa96_zps538667b1-5d6a-4dee-b6b3-654aa5912718_zps