Greyhound Just Had Ventral Slot Surgery

Guest Greyhound1361

Guest Greyhound1361

Our sweet 9 year old greyhound, Katie Bugs (KB) had ventral slot surgery on Friday afternoon because of rather severe disc extrusion. The surgeon said it was a rather aggressive procedure because it was a lot of material to remove. We brought her home on Sunday and while she does seem relaxed, it took her about a day or so to regain the use of her back legs and she is still a little wobbly. My husband built ramps so she can go down the short set of steps out into the backyard and she has gone out to pee, but she has not yet pooped and it is the start of day four after the surgery. We are giving her apples and pumpkin to help. Last night, she also seemed very restless and had a hard time getting comfortable and got up every 30 to 40 minutes and would just stare at us, stare at the beds we had scattered in the area and take forever to pick one and finally lie down. If anyone has advice or perspective who had gone through that, it would be most welcome!

I haven't had expereince with this kind of surgery, but I would suppose, that, depending on the level, it could be impacting the nerves controlling her bowels. It could just be taking a while for everything to get back to working order. Is she eating and drinking normally - staying hydrated? A call to your surgeon is probably in order if she hasn't pooped by the end of today, just to check in and see what is and isn't normal. She also may need her pain meds adjusted as she seems to not be comfortable. A medication specifically targeting nerve pain might be useful if she's not already on one.

Welcome to Greytalk and Good Luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The only advice I have is just to be patient. This is a very serious surgery and the recovery time afterwards is not easy. My dog was paralyzed for several weeks after surgery. We turned out living room into a sea of dog beds. He had no problems pooping and started while he was still in hospital. Our biggest problem was him floundering to get away from his poop and just smearing it all over himself, the floor, dog beds, his urinary catheter, etc. You could try feeding canned food if she typically eats kibble, the extra moisture might help soften things up a bit.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Greyhound1361

Thank you! She is on two tramadol every eight hours and two gabapentin every eight hours as well. She is now drinking and eating – after not eating for a few days – that's a very good suggestion about the canned food and we can look into that. I'm just amazed that she is actually walking around a little bit – these creatures are just so brave. We will indeed be reaching out to the doctor if she has not pooped in a few hours. I can relate to the sea of dog beds visual – that is exactly what our kitchen now looks like! Thank you for the well wishes!

Since you mentioned apples, I'll just add to please be careful to avoid offering apple seeds, which are toxic to dogs. Not sure of your time zone, but a call to your vet before closing time could help. Please mention her overnight restlessness to your vet; her tramadol and/or gabapentin may need to be adjusted. Positive healing thoughts for Katie Bugs.

No experience; just sending our best wishes to your brave Katie Bugs (my Jeterbug says he likes her name)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Greyhound1361

She pooped this morning---I have never been so happy in my whole life to see a poop! Poor thing was restless all night and at one point I just lay down beside her for over an hour. Then, this morning, she walked down the ramps to the back patio that my husband built just like a starlet on the red carpet and pooped and then again two hours later after breakfast! I had been so worried during the night because she seemed in such distress. We've been sleeping on beds down in the kitchen nook where we have her confined and getting up every 30-40 minutes when she gets up. I hope this means she is on the road to recovery!

Guest Greyhound1361

A little frightened because she just rolled off a bed while sleeping outside and it seemed like she lost the use of her back legs again. Luckily, i had a hip sling outside, so I was able t use that to get her inside. The she wouldn't lie down for the longest time but just stood there. I just finally got her to lay down. Maybe it was just a momentary thing....hoping....she was able to get back inside without me really lifting the sling much.

Guest Greyhound1361

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! I'm sitting here next to Katie bags and she is dozing on her bed. We had another scary moment yesterday when her back legs gave out and she tried to get up, but today has been better. She loves sitting outside in the patio and getting some sun. We've actually reduced her meds a little bit and we will see how that goes. She gets her stitches out in the middle of next week and her follow up with the neurosurgeon on the 30th. Please continue to send prayers and good wishes.

:wub: Best thoughts for continued recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greyhound1361

We had a good day yesterday. Lots of dozing in the sun or inside. We have ordered carpets to cover every square inch of hardwood floor, so that she won't slip when she finally is released from kitchen confinement into the main downstairs. We were hoping to leave her alone in the kitchen while we went about the house today to prepare her for next week when she won't have 24 hour supervision (but we will have her brindle playdate-Jack Foley), but she seemed really unnerved and clingy and would not lay down.Finally gave up and gave her a trazodone and am sitting here with her while she dozes and we listen to jazz on the radio(she is quite the audio hound). Our poor anxious princess. I'm so worried about this coming week. I look at her when she sleeps and she is so precious. I'm calling her the Prisoner of Zenda and she looks so mournful as she stares through the doggie gate when I'm on the other side.

Edited by Greyhound1361