Hair Ball Gakking

LaFlaca

Medical term - Hair Ball Gakking. 11 year old Wendy has begun making these "gakking" sounds like a cat expelling a hair ball. Sometimes it seems random, sometimes it happens after she eats something. We're going to the vet on Saturday as she also has a small, Skittle-sized lump on her neck <sigh>. Any ideas what the gakking might be about and if there are any tests/x-ray I should request?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Research laryngeal paralysis.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Research laryngeal paralysis.

[/quote

First - Thank you for the lead and responding so promptly. Have you experienced this with your hounds?

Second - Oh, crap!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

One old boy had minor symptoms, but it never progressed to the point where we needed to treat anything. (LP is an old-dog condition, and I've only had two dogs make it to "old." I lost my other three when they were 8 years old.)

Easy recommendations include using a leash with a harness rather than with the collar. There also may be better positions for food and water bowls to make it easier for Wendy to swallow. And there is the potential for surgery to make things better. I'm sure other people who've been through this will chime in. I just knew I recognized the symptoms from what I've read on here.

Depending on pollen conditions in your area, Wendy might have something that's more like post-nasal drip from allergies, though, and your vet should look into that, too.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It could be several very benign things, but the mention of a "lump" is always concerning. If you don't already, you might try soaking her food before feeding, and making sure she's staying hydrated. Wipe her down with a wet wipe or damp paper towel/wash cloth (especially her feet) after she comes in just to remove any loose pollen in case it's an allergy thing. Washing her bedding goes along with that.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

All great advise; thank you all! I always want to be prepared with as much information as possible before I go to the vet with any unusual issues.

Percy was put on doxepin, twice a day, reasonably priced. IIRC it was an off-label use of the med.

You can read about it here: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/316305-laryngeal-paralysis/?hl=laryngeal

The medication works best when it's a new onset, rather than something that has been going on for long time.

Once we started him on it he improved. If we missed a dose he started to get the symptoms again.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

To a lesser extent of LP, gakking might also be acid reflux. You might be pleasantly surprised if the vet suggests Pepcid.....

I choose Pepcid! : )

Always a great idea...please video your dog "hairball gakking" It's very helpful for your veterinarian. Lumps may need to be aspirated to determine what they are.

Absolutely...I've been shadowing poor Wendy around all day trying to catch a "gak". She did one last night (when I did not have my phone, of course!) and actually gakked up a bit of biscuit I had just given her as a treat on my lap.

I'm hoping for a lipoma diagnosis on the lump. It comes up with the skin on the side of her neck and feels a bit spongy or squishy.

Edited by LaFlaca

If it is LP, my Onyx had the tieback when she was 11. She lived to 15.5 yrs old!

Fabulous! I hope the same for my Wendy. She is so very dear to me.